Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell studio xps 1340

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 isosoclese

isosoclese

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:47 PM

I'm testing out this laptop and I was wondering what your opinions are on this system. Is it a good buy ($899 before tax)? Know of any issues with it?
I noticed it gets hot pretty quickly, is overheating a known problem?

specs off the box:
--Dell Studio XPS 1340
--13'' display
--intel core duo processor P8600 (2.4GHz, 3MB cache, 1066MHz FSB)
--4 GB DDR memory
--500 GB hard drive (7200 RPM)
--NVIDIA GeForce Integrated 9400M graphics
--integrated webcam
--6-cell battery

any comments are appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sonicjet

sonicjet

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:48 AM

What are you going to do with it,as far as deals go....its ...ok...Not an awesome deal nor an Ripoff,It has the same Specs as a Macbook Pro,but due to it being a windows setup it is cheaper.
The 9400m is an ok IGP,don't be thinking Crysys( Well..Maybe on low) but warcraft and the like are possible.
Does it need to have a 13 inch screen?
If not,You can find some better deals in the 15.4 inch market,including the Refurbished ASUS G50 laptops which are a steal at $750

#3 stealthchicken75

stealthchicken75

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:41 PM

Overheating isn't really much of an issue with it, most laptops tend to get a little hot due to squeezing all those components into as tiny an area as possible. I used to have a Dell XPS m1730 that could literally burn you if you weren't careful after using it at full load for an hour. But I never had any issues with overheating or anything like that, most components in PCs are designed to withstand heat to a certain degree.

As for specs, it's a decent laptop but if you're planning to do any gaming on it, it's not a very good choice. The integrated 9400m chipset offers minimal performance as it utilizes your system memory for rendering whereas discrete GPUs have their own onboard memory for rendering (which is also MUCH faster). I'd say that in terms of price to performance, the machine isn't worth 899$. You could get a very similarly specced laptop for around 500$.

#4 isosoclese

isosoclese
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:50 PM

im not a gamer but that stuff is good to know
i guess i'll look for a more economical laptop
thanks for the input

#5 Vaerli

Vaerli

• Members
  • 582 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 11 August 2009 - 12:46 PM

Depending on the display and the speed of the RAM, it might be a great deal.

He's not taking into account that it is a smaller laptop, and if you want a smaller laptop, then its probably a decent price. Also, it has a 7200RPM hard drive, which is quite nice in a laptop over the 5400RPM hard drives.

Its not an amazing deal, but little differences in components here and there can justify those extra dollars that you're paying.

Q6600, 4GB g-skill, 8800GT, P5N-D motherboard
Posted Image
My art

#6 ndg2006

ndg2006

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 17 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

Depending on the display and the speed of the RAM, it might be a great deal.

He's not taking into account that it is a smaller laptop, and if you want a smaller laptop, then its probably a decent price. Also, it has a 7200RPM hard drive, which is quite nice in a laptop over the 5400RPM hard drives.

Its not an amazing deal, but little differences in components here and there can justify those extra dollars that you're paying.

For future reference, the RAM is DDR3 and is upgradeable to 8 GB.

The screen is 1280 x 800, which isn't bad for a 13".

It's a hell of a deal considering the same computer from dell.com is 1149.99.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users