Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firewalls for Vista and Popular Firewall List in tutorial

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hedera

hedera

• Members
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:23 PM

I'm so annoyed at ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite that I'm looking for a new firewall/security product or products for my Vista Home Premium laptop; and in the course of my research I've found a couple of updates to the list of Popular Firewalls in the Understanding and Using Firewalls tutorial:

Under the Free Firewalls list:

Kerio has been taken over by Sunbelt Software and the Kerio firewall is now sold for $19.95 as the Sunbelt Personal Firewall.

Under Commercial Firewalls:

Tiny Personal Firewall seems to have been absorbed by CA, the URL redirects to their site. (Based on professional experience with CA products, I'm not especially interested in putting anything of theirs on my personal system.)

As I find other updates I'll post them here.

If anyone has suggestions for security suites suitable for Vista Home Premium, I'm interested. I know that the Comodo firewall has some fans here, and I'll note that my research has turned up a site called Windows Vista Bookmarks, which claims to be maintained by a Microsoft MVP, and has a list of Vista Compatible Firewalls. This site recommends against the Comodo firewall, just FYI, on the grounds that recent versions have included the Ask Toolbar disguised as the Surfsafe Toolbar. Other than that and one other negative recommendation, the site doesn't rank or compare products, it just lists them.

I'm actually considering Consumer Reports suggestion for a free security suite: Windows firewall, Avira free anti-virus, Windows Defender for malware, and Spamfighter free.

I've just spent too much time over the last year arguing with ZA.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Someones

Someones

• Members
  • 184 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Sunbelt Personal Firewall still has a free version available, it just lacks HIPS protection and some other non-firewall related features.

IMHO Norton Internet Security has the best balance between security and usability. Kaspersky has many layers of protection and is a great choice as well. But generally you can't go wrong with any of the popular security suites.

If you want to use free security software you might want to check out this page which has some recommendations for free security setups, but bear in mind it's still a work in progress.

#3 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:12 PM

We also have a Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps sub-forum
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#4 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 AM

Posted 13 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

@hedera

if it's Vista 64 bit, here's a link to Outpost free Vista firewall 64 bit http://www.agnitum.com/download/OutpostFreeInstall64.exe
I am currently trialing this. You may want to see if Outpost firewall fits your needs if you are putting your own suite together.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users