Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firefox Problem After Using CCleaner!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Dren

Dren

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:01 AM

For those of you who use Firefox, I've got a question.

I was browsing the forums when I found this thread, Get Computer Running Like New?, when I found someone posted that they should try CCleaner. They replied and said it works very nicely so I told myself, "Heck! Why not... I am getting low on hard drive space!", so I download it and run it.

Wow... Lots of options, I ticked almost all of the boxes to clean and ran it. Worked great! Awesome program.. was awfully fast too. Now here comes the problem. It cleaned my firefox. What's wrong with that? I don't know, but I can't see some images now. This includes header images, avatars, signature banners, and a bunch of other images on the web. If I try to directly go to that image the server will give me an error 404 (Which is File not found).

Now if I were to go in another browser and try to view that same image it will work. I'm very attached to my firefox. Please help me restore my firefox back to the way it used to be.

Thank you so much in advanced,
-Dren T.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:05 AM

Why not just delete the version you have and download and install a newer version? That should set up whatever files you may have deleted with CCleaner (you have to be very careful about letting it delete things).
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Dren

Dren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:08 AM

That's the problem.. I uninstalled everything that has to do with firefox. Downloaded the newest version (Firefox v1.0.5) and ran and it did the same exact thing.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:15 AM

Then you deleted something else in a helper application. Perhaps JavaRE or Flash or something like that, but I am not sure about it, so wait for experts.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 Dren

Dren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:26 AM

Thanks for your help, but after searching through google inside and out I finally found the solution.

For anyone who is having the same problem as me: The reason this happend is because you ran CCleaner while Firefox or Mozilla was running. In order to restore you browser back to the way it came (with working images) do the simple task of clearing your cache. In firefox this can be found in Tools > Options > Privacy > Cache > Clear.

Thanks for the quick replies, jgweed, much appreciated! :thumbsup:

-Dren T.

#6 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:28 AM

Hi Dren. I know you said you deleted everything to do with firefox but I have to be sure; did you delete the mozilla folder that contains your user profile also? Sometimes the corruption that causes problems with firefox can come from there and removing firefox does not delete this folder. If you do not go and manually delete this folder before reinstalling FF, you will have the same problem even with a clean install.

If you did not, try deleting this Mozilla folder before reinstalling firefox and see if that fixes your problem. C:\Documents and Settings\Your User Name\Application Data\Mozilla You have to set Folder options to Show Hidden Files and Folders to navigate to this folder.

Make sure you export and save your bookmarks somewhere safe before deleting this folder or you will lose them.

Hopefully this will fix your problem.

Good Luck

Edit: Ooops, you found the answer while I was typing, good job. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ronbo, 15 July 2005 - 12:29 AM.

There is no justice, there is just us.

#7 Dren

Dren
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

Yeh, I noticed that I had all my extensions, bookmarks, and settings still sitting there after the clean install lol.. Thanks for pointing that out to me.

-Dren T.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users