Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New to Linux - question re version and updating

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 dilipsinha

dilipsinha

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:50 PM

Hi all

I have finally taken the plunge and bravely installed linux on a sun virtualbox on my vista machine. Well, everyone has to start somewhere.... :thumbsup:

I borrowed Linux for Dummies from our library. It had a CD for Fedora in it. As the book was published in 2007, however, it was for Fedora 7. My visiting of the Fedora site, however, reveals that the current version is 11.

Once 7 was first installed I ran the updater from system tools. It downloaded and installed 260 updates.

But I suspect they haven't updated it very far. For example, the updated firefox seems to be 2.0.14 or something, rather than 3.5.2, as is the current version. So this led me to wonder if the rest of the "updates" were equally ancient.

I looked for an "about" to find out what version of fedora it had updated to. But there seems to be nothing like the firefox about button which gives the equivalent info to "firefox 3.0.15". Have I missed it?? The only about I can find opened up the help file!

I read on the fedora site that you can't update to version 11 directly. So rather than downloading vast amounts of updates to version 11, I suspect the best option is to delete this virtual machine and install from a recent cd in a magazine in a shop...e.g. the latest ubuntu. Do you agree that is the best course, or is there indeed a painless way to update this thing?

Thank you for any help!

Regards

Dilip

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

well i would have gotten the newest ubuntu or fedora
more support for the os
and its the newer versions have fixes and stuff

but do you like linux ? do you think you will stay with it ?
if you dont like it then may as well forget about it (you could try ubuntu i like that one and been using it for a long time now )

Edited by starcraftmaster, 08 August 2009 - 09:03 PM.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

Not being a Fedora user (neither the Linux distro nor the headwear) I'm not going to be much help with the updating matter. But I'd say getting the latest CD of Ubuntu from the mag shop (or downloading it, or having Canonicle mail you one for free) is a superior idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users