Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XFX Nvidia 9800 GT Freeze

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 sycosquirl18

sycosquirl18

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:27 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:17 PM

Alright so I recently assembled a new computer, optimized for gaming. Here are the specs:

=================================
-Windows XP Home Edition SP3
Processor:
-AMD Phenom II Black Edition x4 940 ~3.00Ghz
GPU:
-XFX Nvidia GeForce 9800 GT 512MB
Motherboard:
-Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P (Does NOT have onboard graphics)
PSU:
-Antec Truepower Trio 430w ATX12v v2.2
RAM:
-Kingston DDR2 4gb PC2-6400 800Mhz
Case:
-Antec 900 Advanced Gaming Case
=================================

Whenever playing games, pretty much any game, my computer will freeze. The screen will stop refreshing, and some colored static will come over the image on the monitor. Music in the background will continue playing. Occasionally if I wait a few seconds then the screen will go black, and any sounds playing will stop. On one occasion has the computer actually shut down on its own. This happens with ANY game. Everything from graphic intensive games like Crysis and Oblivion to an older game like Halo 1. I have done lots of research and tested as many solutions as I can, but to no avail. I have tested my ram with Windows Memory Diagnostic (took over 24 hours >.< ), I have reverted to older video card drivers (after cleaning out old ones with Driver Cleaner). I do not think the problem is overheating, because some crashes do not occur for hours, while some happen within five minutes of playing Halo, which should not even begin to stress my video card. I do not know what to try next. Thanks in advance for your help, I have been trying to solve this for months. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:51 PM

Definitely sounds like a video card issue or overheating, what with the colored static. You've probably tried these but (1) go to Device Manager, uninstall the NVIDIA card, reboot, and let Windows reinstall it, (2) physically remove and reseat the NVIDIA card, possibly to another PCIe slot if you have an extra, (3) I assume the cooling fan is running on the video card, (4) you may just have gotten a bad card, I would contact NVIDIA if the problem persists. Have you checked your processor temperature, you can monitor it with a program like SpeedFan. You can see what the temp is when you start the game and what it is when the shutdown occurs.

#3 sycosquirl18

sycosquirl18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:51 PM

Definitely sounds like a video card issue or overheating, what with the colored static. You've probably tried these but (1) go to Device Manager, uninstall the NVIDIA card, reboot, and let Windows reinstall it, (2) physically remove and reseat the NVIDIA card, possibly to another PCIe slot if you have an extra, (3) I assume the cooling fan is running on the video card, (4) you may just have gotten a bad card, I would contact NVIDIA if the problem persists. Have you checked your processor temperature, you can monitor it with a program like SpeedFan. You can see what the temp is when you start the game and what it is when the shutdown occurs.

Ok, I will try monitoring my temperatures with speedfan. What are some things to look out for? What are the average/normal/safe temperatures? Thanks :thumbsup:
Edit: And how do I monitor temperatures right after the crash? Won't the computer have.... crashed? Or does it take a long time to cool down and I can check it by rebooting... thanks. I haven't worked at all with temperatures.

Edited by sycosquirl18, 08 August 2009 - 10:20 PM.

#4 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:28 AM

I've never had an AMD, maybe someone else can answer. I would take a reading with the PC idling for a base line reading, and then go from there, checking it periodically while gaming. Obviously, you can't get a reading after a crash. I thought of one other thing, have you checked the fan in the power supply? Also, does anyone have an opinion as to whether 430w is enough for this system?

If none of these produce results, my guess is a bad card, looks like that card has a 3 year warranty. My next step would be to contact NVIDIA about a replacement.

#5 sycosquirl18

sycosquirl18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:24 PM

K I checked the temps while playing Halo. My GPU, "Temp 3" and "Core" all reached 49-50 degrees a few seconds before the crash occurred. Im assuming this is hot. So if overheating is the problem, what can I do to fix it? Should i turn up my fans? Heres a link to my case: http://www.bjorn3d.com/read.php?cID=996
Will that be enough? Or will I have to buy liquid cooling or something :0

Thanks so much for your help btw :thumbsup:

#6 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

50C converts to 122F. not excessively hot in my opinion, actually pretty good to be gaming. I'm back to the NVIDIA card, I think you just have a bad one. I had an ATI card a few years ago that would do pretty much the same thing. I would be cruising along and all of a sudden, blank screen. ATI tried to tell me it was a Windows problem, but it wasn't. I replaced the card, problem cured.

When it comes to something like this, you just have to start eliminating what it's not. I think you have eliminated the overheating problem unless the card itself is getting hot. I would contact NVIDIA next and get a new card from them, just remember they are probably going to lay the problem on something else. Also, you will only be out shipping charges.

If the replacement card doesn't fix it, the power supply would be next in line. I would think around a 600-700w if you have to go that route.

If anyone else has an idea on this, please sound off.

#7 sycosquirl18

sycosquirl18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:56 AM

As an experiment I decided to ramp every single one of the fans in my case up to maximum speed. If you check out the link for it above, that should be more than enough cooling for most systems... and yet the crash still occurred. Periodic checking of the temps still never went far above 50 degrees. I think overheating is ruled out. I have contacted XFX, who distributed my card, and explained the situation... let's see if their "award winning" customer support is worth anything.

Edit: Tried playing a more graphic intensive game, got the temperatures up to 65. But that still shouldn't be hot enough for a crash... right?

Edited by sycosquirl18, 10 August 2009 - 03:24 AM.

#8 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 06:58 AM

Check your vers. of the graphics driver currently installed. Go HERE and compare it to the most current. Update if need`d.

Have not played Halo in a long time. Have you checked to see if any patches have been released that may relate to this problem?

#9 Moby Purple

Moby Purple

• Members
  • 97 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 07:29 AM

65C is well within limits. I've got a 8800 GTS, and I just upgraded the driver last week, 190.38. I looked it up, and it also applies to your card so ThunderZ may have the solution. Let us know.

#10 sycosquirl18

sycosquirl18
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:08 PM

K, I will download 190.38. Prior to trying to fix this problem I had always kept up to date with the latest drivers, downloaded from Nvidia.com. But perhaps this one will fix the problem :0 And yes I have downloaded the latest patches for Halo, good idea though :thumbsup: Note again that this happens on all games. Oblivion, Halo, Spore, Sims 3, Combat Arms, Guild Wars, Crysis, Bioshock. So I don't think it is a matter of patching the games themselves. I'll post again if the problem continues :0

Edited by sycosquirl18, 10 August 2009 - 03:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users