Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Download Buffering

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hey-dad

Hey-dad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:19 PM

I like to watch news video offered by the major TV network websites. However I experience many pauses in the audio~video streaming making it diffiicult to enjoy the video. How can I increase buffer size or make other adjustments to reduce the amount of interruption in the streaming video clips.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 spdfrk78

spdfrk78

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:42 PM

What kind of hardware are you using?

I've asked this same question before and not really gotten a response. What has really worked for me is upgrading to a Duo Core processor, adding more memory, and the biggest difference was upgrading to a faster internet service plan from my provider. Even then I still have some instances where the video playback will pause to buffer but it's nowhere near as frequent as when I was using a Celeron D processor with 512Mb of RAM.

I am in the processing of building a system to be used primarily to view streaming video on my 46" monitor. I am considering using a Quad Core Processor to see what kind of a differance it will make if any. Like I said, I have never gotten a straight answer to this question, so I will learn as go.

Goodluck with your quest for an answer.

Edited by spdfrk78, 08 August 2009 - 05:43 PM.

Toshiba Satellite Laptop
Hoping to build some type of "Hot Rod" multi-media machine

#3 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:47 PM

I like to watch news video offered by the major TV network websites. However I experience many pauses in the audio~video streaming making it diffiicult to enjoy the video. How can I increase buffer size or make other adjustments to reduce the amount of interruption in the streaming video clips.

System specs, please? On some sites it is recommended that you pause the video until it loads completely and then watch it.

#4 spdfrk78

spdfrk78

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:41 PM

System specs, please? On some sites it is recommended that you pause the video until it loads completely and then watch it.

Pausing works on flash player and videos that open with Windows Media but does not work with streaming movies on NetFlix.
Toshiba Satellite Laptop

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:32 AM

That's because Netflix doesn't use Flash. They use Microsoft Silverlight and there have been issues with it.

#6 spdfrk78

spdfrk78

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:38 PM

That's because Netflix doesn't use Flash. They use Microsoft Silverlight and there have been issues with it.

Yeah, the Silverlight is annoying, to say the least. I can't seem to get it to work with FireFox, so I have to use IE to access Netflix instant view.
It would be nice if I could pause a Netflix movie and come back to it when it was fully loaded, but it always seems to want to buffer just when the movie is getting good. Luckily with my upgraded internet connection it only lasts a few seconds, now.
Toshiba Satellite Laptop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users