Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something is wrong, not sure what

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 g1forty4

g1forty4

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

I know I have some kind of problem. I have run AVG several times and it showed that Windows Anti-virus Pro was somehow on the computer. But I haven't been able to get any diagnostic or detection software (ie. Spy-bot or mbam ) to run in any mode- safe or otherwise. It is almost like something is blocking them from full execution. They show up in the task manager, but are not doing anything. I did remove a file or two that AVG Free said was the SHeur2 Trojan. And at one time there were a.exe, b.exe, c.exe, d.exe and f.exe files that were listed on several sites as being part of a virus' actions. I also had trouble with an error message that popped up for a while saying that desot.exe could not run because of a missing msvcr80.dll file. I think I have had several things working together here.

Also, for a while, my google searches were being hijacked to obscure websites.

This is on a Windows XP home edition sp3 computer, Intel duocore 2.4ghz

I am generally knowledgeable in these things but not being able to run any malware detection tools is making this hard. Please help

EDIT: Internet Explorer is running multiple times in the background. Every now and then I can hear sound from a video or flash ad or something. When I try to start IE, it tells me there were windows still open from my previous session. Huh? When I told it to restore the previous session, it opened 15 sessions of IE!

Edited by g1forty4, 08 August 2009 - 05:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:17 PM

VIPRE PC Rescue. This is a is a command-line utility that will scan and clean a computer which is so badly infected that programs cannot be easily run. Be sure to print out and follow the instructions provided on the same page.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users