Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I booted my computer without a graphics card now no graphics cards work.

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 potatopotatopotato

potatopotatopotato

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:10 PM

Hello BleepingComputer,
I was investigating the source of my motherboards beeping at bootup (didn't come with beep codes). So I was removing devices one by one, I removed the graphics card and booted the computer. The motherboard doesn't have integrated graphics, so the monitor wasn't connected to anything. Now it doesn't beep, but the monitor displays a blank screen. I've tried other video cards and they don't work either.

I've tried the monitor with another computer and it works.
I've tried other graphics cards and different slots.
I've tried to remove the battery for 10+ minutes and I've pressed the switch that is supposed to reset the BIOS/CMOS.

Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT
Motherboard: K9N4 SLI-F
Power Supply: 500W

Any suggestions to get my display working?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 potatopotatopotato

potatopotatopotato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:02 PM

Okay, I figured it out.

It turned out that one of my RAM sticks was loose, when I removed it, the computer booted up just fine.
Funny thing is, it was working with the loose stick before I took the graphics card out.

edit:

Okay, now it won't boot with the 2GB stick installed, it has one other 2GB already installed, any thoughts?

Edited by potatopotatopotato, 08 August 2009 - 06:05 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,262 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:59 PM

Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool - http://www.memtest.org/#downiso

Icrontic Diagnose with Memtest86+ - http://icrontic.com/articles/diagnose_with_memtest86

Outdated but useful reference: MemTest Manual - http://hcidesign.com/memtest/manual.html

Louis

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

Motherboard make and manufacturer?

#5 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:18 AM

Simpler than all of the above;
Reseat the card!

#6 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:34 AM

As Ohai stated re-seat all components

Also, you can remove all compoents and boot the PC. It will beep but doing that will tell you what components are mail functioning.

#7 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:47 AM

Also, you can remove all compoents and boot the PC. It will beep but doing that will tell you what components are mail functioning.

Yes, even though he says he moved it, who knows, maybe he doesn't know what 'in' looks/feels like, you can push it with A LOT of force before you damage something.

And did you mean remove all components then add them 1x1?

#8 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

It sounds like the memory stick that was loose was damaged.

You need to unplug the computer & push the on button to full discharge stored electricity as a safty precaution when installing or removing memory or add-in cards.

The fact that the computer worked without the loose memory stick tells you either the memory stick that was loose is incompatible or damaged.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#9 potatopotatopotato

potatopotatopotato
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:25 PM

What I ended up doing is just reinstalling the Operating System with just one stick installed. After the install was complete, I put in the other stick and it recognize it just fine, now my computer is back to normal ... almost. It still beeps twice every time I boot, my motherboard is AMI, it's parity circuit failure or something like that. I'm starting to think it's a motherboard issue, nothing really seems to be affected by it. I'm just going to leave it as it is. It still beeps no matter what stick I have installed or what slot I put it in ...

#10 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:57 PM

What I ended up doing is just reinstalling the Operating System with just one stick installed. After the install was complete, I put in the other stick and it recognize it just fine, now my computer is back to normal ... almost. It still beeps twice every time I boot, my motherboard is AMI, it's parity circuit failure or something like that. I'm starting to think it's a motherboard issue, nothing really seems to be affected by it. I'm just going to leave it as it is. It still beeps no matter what stick I have installed or what slot I put it in ...

If your motherboard DIDN'T beep before you had a problem THEN.

#11 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 AM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 03:03 AM

Yes, even though he says he moved it, who knows, maybe he doesn't know what 'in' looks/feels like, you can push it with A LOT of force before you damage something.

And did you mean remove all components then add them 1x1?

Yes I mean 1 by 1 but now after reading the other comments I would remove only the memory and insert 1 stick start up the PC to see if it boots up okay. If it does shut down the PC remove that stick and insert the other one start up the PC to see what it does.

Its part of troubleshooting and its a pain trying to figure out what part causes the problems. I once had a bent pin in a keyboard and it made it seem like that network card was causing the problem I decided to inspect all cable and found the bent pin. After I fixed it the PC booted up correctly and never had a problem after that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users