Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft XP Media Center 2005 Rollup 2 Crash

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jdkool09

jdkool09

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:41 PM

Hi, I know I may be a little behind in the software updates, so please forgive me if this inquiry comes 2-3 years after the original problem has been solved. But my problem is this, when I keep trying to install the Microsoft XP Media Center 2005 Rollup 2 package it fails fairly quickly after start up when it tries to install "Microsoft XP hotfix (KB801593)" after this it shuts down my computer and reboots it to the restore point it makes right before installation.

I have been looking around and have determined that it has to do with incompatability with one or more other Microsoft updates ranging from Security updates to .NET updates. However, the answers I have found pertain to none of the updates on my specific machine. Any ideas or suggestions?

Edited by jdkool09, 08 August 2009 - 02:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:29 PM

http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/details...;displaylang=en

I suggest download from the above site and immediately installing same.

<<...and have determined that it has to do with incompatability with one or more other Microsoft updates ranging from Security updates to .NET updates.>>

Well...that might be plausible if such were contained in the rollup...but, from where I sit, it doesn't appear so to me.

If you are talking about later updates (post-2005) that relate to MS.NET or whatever...I'm just curious as to how you made these deductions about incompatibility.

And...you refer to "Microsoft updates". That's a very broad spectrum.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=900325

Did you read the information under More Information in the link directly above this question?

Louis

#3 jdkool09

jdkool09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:57 PM

Sorry, I determined that by reading up on other forums such as this one, and people replying that uninstalling such and such worked. This such and such being Security updates and .NET updates. I can get you specifics if you want.

#4 jdkool09

jdkool09
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:01 PM

I found .NET hotfix 1.1 but on my machine it is labeled as KB928366. However, on the Microsoft page it tells you to uninstall KB886904. You think it is the same thing? I'm going to uninstall it and see if it works.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,545 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:46 PM

http://74.125.47.132/search?q=cache:fb_qbV...=clnk&gl=us , 8 Feb 05

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928366, 10 Jul 07.

There are any number of security updates to MS.NET and to XP. If you want to track them properly, you need to look at the detail for the listed KB (which includes the date made available).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users