Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing .dll file

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 twinsdad

twinsdad

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

Running W98SE on an older Compaq with new HD (thanks to BC!) and everything seemingly working OK except:

Twins found a cute kid's game here. It starts out free but then when you're hooked, it offers a full download package with more levels for a relatively small amount. Download and installation went seemingly smoothly, however whenever I try to start the game I get a message stating

The ATL DLL Library was not found and it is required to play the game

I went to Start>Find>Files and Folders and found Atl.dll located in C:\Windows\Systems. So is it really "missing" or is it somehow hidden from the game?

Google found me lots of places that will let me download .dll files including atl.dll, but since it seems already installed, I'm nervous about screwing around in there without BC looking at this issue. Any thoughts about what's going on here? Thanks in advance.

Edited by twinsdad, 14 July 2005 - 11:08 PM.

"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:46 PM

Running W98SE on an older Compaq with new HD (thanks to BC!) and everything seemingly working OK except:

Twins found a cute kid's game here. It starts out free but then when you're hooked, it offers a full download package with more levels for a relatively small amount. Download and installation went seemingly smoothly, however whenever I try to start the game I get a message stating

The ATL DLL Library was not found and it is required to play the game

I went to Start>Find>Files and Folders and found Atl.dll located in C:\Windows\Systems. So is it really "missing" or is it somehow hidden from the game?

Google found me lots of places that will let me download .dll files including atl.dll, but since it seems already installed, I'm nervous about screwing around in there without BC looking at this issue. Any thoughts about what's going on here? Thanks in advance.

Try right clicking on the "Atl.dll" file and choose copy then go to the folder that your game is installed in and right click on an empty space and choose paste. Then see if the game works for you.

#3 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 07:47 AM

phatcat42141Thanks, I should have thought of that, but after copy & paste still getting error message that "No ATL DLL Library found". Also uninstalled and reinstalled game, cut and pasted atl.dll to folder again, but no joy. Any other ideas?
"Love to eat them mousies, mousies what I like to eat; bite they little heads off, nibble on they tiny feet". B. Kliban

#4 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 05:36 PM

Long time no see twinsdad...I guess your new drive is still functional.

Still researching this one...do you also have a ATL.EXE on your system.

:thumbsup:
JC

#5 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

Joshuacat:

I guess your new drive is still functional.

Yes, thanks to a couple of very patient folks at BC, one of them using your name :thumbsup:

do you also have a ATL.EXE on your system.

Nothing found searching for atl.exe. Perhaps it was left behind on the old drive? :flowers:

#6 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:35 PM

I am not 100% sure on this one. There seems to be a lot of possiblities for this, but I am leaning towards this one. I found it on the website you linked above...it is for another game though...

When I try to run the .exe file of Aqua Energizer I get an error requiring a .dll file?
Click on this link http://download.microsoft.com/download/vb6.../VBRun60sp4.exe to download a player that should solve this problem.

You could double check with the MiniClip forums. They would have a quick answer...maybe...

Nothing found searching for atl.exe. Perhaps it was left behind on the old drive? wacko.gif

Maybe the aliens took it back with them... :thumbsup:

:flowers:

Let us know.
JC

#7 phatcat42141

phatcat42141

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 09:36 PM

This just hit me -- Do you have the newest version of Shockwave Flash installed on the computer? If yes try downloading the Shockwave Flash again and reinstall it. I had a problem like that also on a 98SE machine and it took me forever to figure out that it was the problem.

#8 twinsdad

twinsdad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 411 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2005 - 11:00 PM

phatcat42141: Thanks again, uninstalled Flash and downloaded latest version, no joy.

Joshuacat: I did the MS download from your link, went smoothly but no help with the Cyber Mice game. But thanks for spotting that MiniClip Games has a Forum (which uses a format similar to BC), something I should have noticed before bothering you folks. I registered there and just posted a thread and I'll post here if they can solve this little problem. Hope Rimmer hasn't told them about my HD infested with :thumbsup:

And re your previous query....should I have atl.exe somewhere in there?

#9 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 06:18 AM

Yes, the ATL.exe. Found a reference to it on this website. One of many links about atl...
http://www.actel.com/apps/guru/knownissues/sar31789.htm

Microsoft has eased the upgrade of the ATL.DLL by providing an atl.exe. This will install the appropriate atl.dll (which are different on Windows 95/98 than on NT/2000) and register it. During Libero install, if you get the two errors regarding the two DLL's, allow the install to finish. After you reboot (or before), go to the location at <install-libero>\<install-viewdraw>\win32 and run the atl.exe. This will update your system. You may need to reboot after the atl.exe finishes. After that, invoke vdconfig.exe with the command-line argument of the viewdraw-directory location:
e.g.
c:\libero\viewdraw\vdconfig.exe

This should now successfully register the CommandBarSvr.dll and the ListServer.dll.

This is help for another product that uses ATL. I am don't think it will help with your problem...maybe it would...

C:\windows\systems .... you meant ...

c:\windows\system ...right?
JC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users