Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SYSTEM CRASH

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 NYLip

NYLip

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:59 PM

I have a Sony laptop that crashed suddenly. At first, I thought it was a downloaded program that moves the caps button (I moved it to Esc). I have run every test known to Vista and they all tell me the system is perfect. I took every option and did this twice - a very time consuming process.. (I can only get to the Command prompt).

There is no prior image backup to restore to ( I get a weird error message, indicating that Windows has no room to perform this function) , so am now convinced it is out of space on the C: drive.

I originally set up the C: drive for the OS only,, but was abused of the privilege by my wife - a wify problem, you might say) . I tried loading something from the DVD drive (CA internet security to be specific), and it said there isn't enough space on the HD. keep in mind, I can only access through command prompt option.

I suspect there isn't enough room for Vista to begin loading (or to create those restore points).

I am downloading the daylights out of the system and am planning to make the C: drive bigger.

I would like to try this before I reload windows and have to reload all my programs and files.

The question is: IF I extend the drive by another 5 or 10 gig, will it use unused space or wipe out existing data?

If this is worth trying, what is the series of commands? (and what do you suggest?)

I am an old DOS guy, but a bit rusty. If I am right, and this works, it should be documented (and named after me).

I would have gladly posted this on the forum if I could.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users