Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ddraw.dll cannot start

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 lizard queen

lizard queen

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:23 AM

Hi there..

I get that message "ddraw.dll cannot start" when I try to load an editor application.

I've run "dxdiag", did the DirectDraw test and this is what it says...

DirectDraw test results: Failure at step 1 (Loading DirectDraw DLL): HRESULT = 0x887600ff (Not found)

What should I do next?

Thanks!
Liz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daniel_b

daniel_b

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:11 PM

are you using version 9.0c of direct x?
that is sometimes a problem - in my opinion, version 8.1 is the best for the w9.x series of os

you could install the particular xx.dll that it is calling for - but usually when this situation occurs - it's a list of them - so the easy way is to just download and reinstall direct x

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:16 PM

Which version of DirectX are you using?

Just Run: dxdiag.exe to find the version number. I've never had any problems running DirectX 9.0c on Win98SE or WinME. Download and install DirectX 9.0c and see what happens then. :thumbsup:

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:58 PM

yes reinstall directx 9.0c
should fix your problem
and as Keithuk i never had problems with DX 9.0c on win98 and winME

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:02 PM

Yes as ddraw.dll is missing, you should re-install DirectX 9.0c to replace the missing file.

The latest version of DirectX working with Win 9x is DirectX 9.0c 2006 which you can download from here :
http://www.oldapps.com/directx.php?old_directx=13

You can also download latest working DirectX for your system by looking at the table, from this site:
http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Edited by Romeo29, 08 August 2009 - 10:11 PM.

#6 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:10 AM

Now then first thing I must ask today is: lizard queen which operating system are you using, you haven't stated?.

I think its wrong to assume on here that all users can read forum titles before posting. Sorry this is nothing personal is just my experience.

The latest version of DirectX working with Win 9x is DirectX 9.0c 2006 which you can download from here :
http://www.oldapps.com/directx.php?old_directx=13

You can also download latest working DirectX for your system by looking at the table, from this site:
http://www.falconfly.de/directx.htm

Now this Dx compability is a strange thing. The last version I downloaded and installed in Win98/ME without a problem is DirectX 9.0c (Nov 2007) whereas oldapps.com say DirectX 9.0c (June 2006) is the last version. Now I've alway had mine from FileHippo and the newer ones I've downloaded have always had a problem unpacking or when you run Dxsetup.exe it report a problem with the files. Even Microsoft say their Mar 2009 version is compatible with Windows 98 in the System Requirements.

Falconfly's table of compatibility is slightly different they say Dec 2006.

I'm just passing on my experience with DirectX. :thumbsup:

Keith

#7 lizard queen

lizard queen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

First off, my apologies for not stating my operating system... it is Win 98SE.

I did reinstall Direct X 8.1 and it said it installed but when i run "dxdiag" all the files say Version 4.09.

I'm downloading Version 9c now but the latest is from Mar/09. Should i be downloading an earlier one instead?

Thanks again, everyone for your help!!

EDIT: Okay, I've downloaded Jun/06 version, extracted to the WINDOWS/TEMP folder, launched the DXSETUP.exe and it gives me the following error message...

"A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid" :thumbsup:

Edited by lizard queen, 09 August 2009 - 12:30 PM.

#8 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:18 AM

Although Microsoft says different, my personal experience is that I could install only DirectX 9.0 Dec 2005 edition on Win98 on a friends computer. So you should go for that. Cryptographic service is available only on NT based systems (Win 2000/Xp/Vista) in my opinion.

#9 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:44 AM

EDIT: Okay, I've downloaded Jun/06 version, extracted to the WINDOWS/TEMP folder, launched the DXSETUP.exe and it gives me the following error message...

"A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid" :thumbsup:

try google
comes up with so meny entries

#10 lizard queen

lizard queen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:27 AM

Although Microsoft says different, my personal experience is that I could install only DirectX 9.0 Dec 2005 edition on Win98 on a friends computer. So you should go for that. Cryptographic service is available only on NT based systems (Win 2000/Xp/Vista) in my opinion.

I will give that version a try. Thanks for all your help. :thumbsup:

#11 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:02 AM

I'm downloading Version 9c now but the latest is from Mar/09. Should i be downloading an earlier one instead?

"A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid" :flowers:

I said you would have trouble with the newer versions thats why I said that Nov 2009 was the last one I could get to work on Win98SE.

The cabinet file couldn't be trusted. The sounds like a virus checker or some other firewall you have reply rather than an installation error. :thumbsup:

Keith

#12 lizard queen

lizard queen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:51 PM

"A cabinet file necessary for installation cannot be trusted. Please verify the Cryptographic Services are enabled and the cabinet file certificate is valid" :inlove:

I said you would have trouble with the newer versions thats why I said that Nov 2009 was the last one I could get to work on Win98SE.

The cabinet file couldn't be trusted. The sounds like a virus checker or some other firewall you have reply rather than an installation error. :thumbsup:

Yes, and I specifically edited my post to say I downloaded Jun/06 instead... :flowers:

Yes, it could be the firewall... I'll check that out tonight.

Thanks again everyone! You're a great bunch!! :cool:

EDIT: Nope, wasn't the firewall. Downloading Dec/05 version now. :woot:

EDIT: Nope, that one didn't work either. And I just tried Version 8 which said it installed okay, but I've still got the original ddraw.dll problem. :trumpet:

Edited by lizard queen, 10 August 2009 - 05:48 PM.

#13 starcraftmaster

starcraftmaster

• Members
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 01:19 AM

could it be some thing to do with your drivers ?

#14 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 951 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 05:57 AM

Actually DirectX for some users is a pain in the backside. It has no built in uninstaller (though there are uninstallers for XP). You can't install an older version over the top of a newer version. The reason I'm saying this is because lizard queen is having problems with 9.0. If he installed 8.0 then he installed 9.0 maybe it would correct things. :thumbsup:

Keith

#15 lizard queen

lizard queen
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2009 - 10:35 AM

Actually DirectX for some users is a pain in the backside. It has no built in uninstaller (though there are uninstallers for XP). You can't install an older version over the top of a newer version. The reason I'm saying this is because lizard queen is having problems with 9.0. If he installed 8.0 then he installed 9.0 maybe it would correct things. :thumbsup:

When I installed Version 8, it said it installed properly but when i checked the files thru "dxdiag" they didn't seem to change at all and still had the "ddraw" problem. But I'll assume it did install and will try to reinstall one of the older Version 9's over top of it this evening.

Oh... and "he" is actually a "she"... :flowers:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users