Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

5-month old problem!

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CharlieSays

CharlieSays

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

Hi guys,

I was told to post my question in here by the guys in the chatroom. Not sure if this is the correct bit, so please redirect me if not.

Since around January I have had problems with Windows Vista Home on my pc. The computer seemed to work fine while my brother had it, but has taken a dislike to me for some reason. It has been inundated with viruses and trojans and I have so far spent close to 250 on pc repairs and call-outs and have had my bank account hacked into through the internet banking site (and no, I didn't give out any details or click on any weird links), which initially made me aware that I had some sort of trojan/virus on my pc. The repair guys said they had removed several nasty things from the pc and it should be working fine. They installed AVG anti-virus. I've also had numerous discussions on the phone with microsoft technical help and paid for someone to come to my house to take a look as I wondered if I had set something up wrong myself. Most of the other problems were resolved, but the one that keeps returning is the stupid message when I try to use the internet. It will run okay for a minute or two, then the page goes blank and it tells me Microsoft Explorer has stopped working and it closes itself. Then I get another message saying Explorer is restarting and a new page comes up.

This week I tried a system restore (as suggested on another forum) to no avail. I have pretty much given up and run out of money. One of the guys in the chatroom suggested I use FireFox instead of Explorer, so I am giving that a go and will see what happens. I use my pc to write and although I try to keep a seperate backup on another pc, these are never completely up to date as I edit and rewrite continuously. I don't want to have to wipe everything from the pc as one of the repair shop guys suggested!

I am a complete novice when it comes to computers, so be gentle! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CharlieSays

CharlieSays
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:22 PM

Thought i should add... after installing Firefox, I haven't had that message all afternoon whilst using the internet, but a minute ago it finally caught up with me and everything shut down once again! It seems that Firefox hasn't solved the problem entirely :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users