Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

xp pro install

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 darkside701

darkside701

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:42 AM

i have a dell laptop that died and i just finished building a new desktop so i figured i would use the laptops xp install key on the new desktop. however when i try to install it reads my cd key as invalid. i have figured out that this is because i am using an oem and not the original dell cd to install. is there anything that can be done without the original install cd to put xp on my new desktop.

also can a recovery disk be useful in any way?

Edited by darkside701, 08 August 2009 - 08:48 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:01 AM

Simply put...the Dell key cannot be used on any other system. It is tied to the Dell system, alive or dead.

If you have an OEM Microsoft version of XP, same rules apply. It can be installed one time and that key is tied to that system alone.

Your problem doesn't seem to be the media used...you don't seem to have a license to install to your new computer.

Hence, the invalid key message.

Louis

#3 darkside701

darkside701
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:58 PM

alright well i got microsoft to generate a new product key for windows xp oem. It still has the invalid message and I called back to make sure and they verified that it is indeed a valid xp pro oem product code. If i understand you correctly I need a new oem cd now?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,726 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

Are you saying that...you have a valid key code, yet also receive a notifiction that you don't have a valid license?

If so, then you need to contact Microsoft.

There's nothing anyone here has to do with licensing/PA issues...other than advise our understanding of the rules regarding such.

The license...is not the CD.

A CD is just a medium used for easy installation of files.

The license to legally use that or any other CD to legally install any version of a Microsoft product...comes via Microsoft. That is really what any user is purchasing when obtaining a valid copy of Windows.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users