Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

start button gone, restore gone,

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
9 replies to this topic

#1 carldu

carldu

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

Hi,
First post (after introducing myself, of course) here, my challenge today : try to explain what's going on and what I've done!!!

My OS is XP home sp2

During my weekly Avira scan routine, UFO.exe popped up on the radar, but avira did not remove it or anything...
Soooo, I downloaded zhp to diagnose more precisely the problem and see what I could do. The problem is I got sidetracked somehow and decided to clean my PC. My bad!
:thumbsup:
I used jv16 powertools 2009 to clean up the registry, optimized a thing or two for windows
Then used cccleaner and VOILA: the UFO.exe file was gone, my PC working like a charm!
So while I was at it, I went and defragged my drives and was a very happy camper...
This morning, wake up call to reality:
-UFO.exe is still on the computer
*my start button has disappeared from the taskbar (though I can still acces execute thx to task manager)
*I can only reduce window size or close them, they will not appear minimized in the task bar
Restore is impossible at this stage, I get the message: restore will not protect your computer, reboot your computer and start restore again.
*No Ctrl+C or +V works
-None of the console windows describing events open, I'm stuck with the warning type, but no other info

In fact, it's as if I had lost administration rights, although I'm on the administrator account!
However, the relatively good news is that in safe boot mode, the *problems disappear, but not the others!
I have tried to
-backup all the changes done yesterday with Jv16, but to no avail...
-boot in all different modes, no dice
-scan the PC again with avira, UFO still there, but it's location is unknown.

I've just created a backup of my C:\ drive with cobian backup 9
and would like
-to get rid of the @#* UFO file
-get my OS back to working condition
-to avoid reformatting my disks if at all possible...
-to avoid having to hang myself out of despair with an LPTCOM cable!
-to have an idea of where/what my mistake(s) were and understand....
If any of you could help me, I'd sure be grateful...

:flowers:
update: Doc Satan and the BPC team Rock!

"They say life is hard, but just imagine if it was limp!"

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:55 AM

Hello ,I see conflicting reports on this UFO file. Let's do the following. tell me what still exists after.

Lets' upload this file for a second opinion on what it actually is..

Please make sure that you can view all hidden files. Instructions on how to do this can be found here:

How to see hidden files in Windows

Please click this link-->Jotti

When the jotti page has finished loading, click the Browse button and navigate to the following file and click Submit.

suspect.file

Please post back the results of the scan in your next post.

If Jotti is busy, try the same at Virustotal: http://www.virustotal.com/

If you have Spybot installed temporarily disable it.
Next run ATF:
Note: On Vista, "Windows Temp" is disabled. To empty "Windows Temp" ATF-Cleaner must be "Run as an Administrator".

Please download ATF Cleaner by Atribune & save it to your desktop.
  • Double-click ATF-Cleaner.exe to run the program.
  • Under Main "Select Files to Delete" choose: Select All.
  • Click the Empty Selected button.
  • If you use Firefox browser click Firefox at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • If you use Opera browser click Opera at the top and choose: Select All
    If you would like to keep your saved passwords, please click No at the prompt.
  • Click Exit on the Main menu to close the program.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

NOTE: Before saving MBAM please rename it to zztoy.exe....now save it to your desktop.

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
alternate download link 1
alternate download link 2

MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 carldu

carldu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:20 AM

Hi Boopme, thanx for your answer.
I never got to locate where the ufo file was, so I ran another check with avira...It seems to be gone...(Like it was last night)
So I moved on to ATF cleaner and followed the procedure...
I'm surprised to see that after clearing all (ATF mentionned X Mb freed), I still have my history available as well as my passwords...I actually logged back in on this site automatically! Is that normal?

With Malwarebytes, no dice, towards the end of the install process, I got the following message several times:
run-time error 372: failed to load control 'vbalGrid' from 'vbalGrid6.ocx' your version of 'vbalGrid6.ocx may be outdated. make sure that you are using the version of the control provided with your software
And the search function does not work anywhere (obviously no start menu, but in the windows I open, when I click on the tag, the left box opens but the background is blue and it remains empty.
So I stopped there to have your input..
Thank you

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:49 PM

Hello let's run 2 tools
McAfee Avert Stinger

Please do an online scan with Kaspersky WebScanner

Click on Kaspersky Online Scanner

You will be prompted to install an ActiveX component from Kaspersky, Click Yes.
  • The program will launch and then begin downloading the latest definition files:
  • Once the files have been downloaded click on NEXT
  • Now click on Scan Settings
  • In the scan settings make sure that the following are selected:
    • Scan using the following Anti-Virus database:
    Extended (if available otherwise Standard)
    • Scan Options:
    Scan Archives
    Scan Mail Bases
  • Click OK
  • Now under select a target to scan:Select My Computer
  • This will program will start and scan your system.
  • The scan will take a while so be patient and let it run.
  • Once the scan is complete it will display if your system has been infected.
    • Now click on the Save as Text button:
  • Save the file to your desktop.
  • Copy and paste that information in your next post.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 carldu

carldu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:19 AM

OMG! What a trying experience! Talk about frayed nerves!!!
So, the mcfee avert ran fine, nothring came up.
But the kapersky!!!
Get this: after downloading the program, it starts updating; everything fine for the first 20% then, a slight lag occurs which keeps ramping up : I'm at 85% of the database downloaded at a DL rate of 3kb/s!!! All the while, firefox is eating up my ressources (50%!!!) with nothing else running (i've got 2gigs of ram on an athlon xp4200+ a dual core)
The weird thing is that it's only the firefox windows that lag! When I try to access anything else, I experience no lag!
Another great one: I tried to check my network and internet connnections and the page is empty!, same is valid for printers.!
What's really aggravating as well is the fact that since I cannot drag and drop, none of the files can be moved, copied or saved in packets
I also out of despair, tried to see if IE could do any better: I access the general page, but when I click on the online scanner button, nothing happens (script error, no adress shown between the brackets), yet the file scanner, on the same page works fine!!! It's just driving me nuts! lol
Yeah, I still manage to squeeze a smile out of the situation...But it looks like to me I'm gonna have no choice but to go format c: on this one.
Ah, I also slipped in my windows disk to see if anything might be available, bizarrely enough, I get a message saying I cannot do anything because the version on my computer is newer than the one on the disk!!! How could that be possible?
Thanks for your patience and help, boopme.

#6 Stang777

Stang777

Just Hoping To Help

• Members
  • 1,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:34 AM

alternate download link 1

Boopme, just to let you know, this link is not working. Obviously I do not know if this is a momentary problem or what, but wanted to let you guys know.

This is the message given when that link is clicked on....

404 Not Found
/mbam-setup.exe was not found on this server.

Same thing happens with the manual update link for Mbam :thumbsup:

Edited by Stang777, 09 August 2009 - 05:36 AM.

#7 carldu

carldu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:15 AM

Hi,
More bad news which actually means good news! (Er... :thumbsup: )
The *%$@# thing reappeared!
It's in the registry, here goes the path:
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\MountPoint2\{821b1196-b72a-11dc-8a08-001}\shell\auto\command-UFO.exe
Which doesn't tell me where the file is actually located, but at least, I know where to look
on jotti, Cp secure identified a Troj.W32.Qhost.ajh (no other site found anything)
jotti result: http://virusscan.jotti.org/fr/scanresult/a...9b92688f299b041
But no UFO.exe in sight...
Does this help a bit [prayer mode=on]

#8 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,082 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:58 AM

Hello. I know this is frustrating. It appears you have a seriously corrupted system. Your options are to reformat or go thru the HJT team and have them dig it out. Let us know your choice.

To run HJT/DDS.
Please follow this guide. Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Hijackthis. Then go here HijackThis Logs and Virus/Trojan/Spyware/Malware Removal ,click New Topic,give it a relevant Title and post that complete log.

Let me know if it went OK.

Note: I'm checking the Alt link,thanks.

#9 carldu

carldu
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:18 PM

"we shall never surrender! Remember the Ala...Errmm..."
To insanity and beyond..I guess I was warned...No way I'm going to format if there's a solution available!
I'm backing up what I need the most...And reading the rest...I'll keep you posted..
Thank you so much for helping btw, I really appreciate this...

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,912 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:39 PM

Hello,

Now that you have posted a log here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/248179/trojw32qhostajh-ufoexe-entry-in-registry/ you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a HJT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the HJT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the HJT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

Please be patient. It may take several days, perhaps less, to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic. Good luck with your log.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users