Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Picture files security - unable to open in any program

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fearphobia

fearphobia

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:58 AM

Recently I automatically updated windows, and I must have downloaded an update which blocks some files. I am unable to view or open any picture file (jpeg, png.) Right Click --> Properties states "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."

I click unblock and I still can't view it.
I tried gpedit.msc, but I have home edition so it isn't installed.

So far I have only noticed picture files, but others may be blocked too.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:32 AM

This feature was added in Service Pack 2. To unblock a file which was downloaded from another computer do the following:

1. Right-click on the file in question.
2. Click Properties from the context menu
3. In the box that appears, click the Unblock button
4. Click OK

Posted Image

Geek information:

Windows XP SP2 and higher marks files downloaded from another computer with an NTFS named ADS called Zone Identifier. Any file containing this data stream will be blocked.

There are several ways to strip a file of this stream. One is mentioned above. Another is to copy the file in question to a drive formatted in another filesystem (FAT32, for example) and then copy it back again. Windows strips out ADS's when copying files to other filesystems that don't support ADS's. Yet another method is to use an ADS editing program to manuall delete the stream.

#3 fearphobia

fearphobia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:42 AM

"I click unblock and I still can't view it."

I also managed to install gpedit.msc on XP home.

User Configuration --> Administrative Templates --> Windows Components --> Attachment Manager gives "Do not preserve zone information in file attachments" enabled but any new picture files still can't be opened / viewed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users