Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid HD keeps rebuilding itself

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vroom125

Vroom125

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:41 AM

Hi,
I've set up a raid 5 array, but it does not seem to be working. Everything seemed fine, until the Intel Matrix Storage Console reported to me that a new hard drive was detected on port 0. Then it showed that the volume was being rebuilt. After this happened once, and took 12 hours, it happened again, almost immediately after the first rebuild ended. Another 12 hours?

The Raid bios controller controls the raid array.

Gigabyte EP45T-UD3LR Motherboard
3 WD 320GB SATA Hard Drives

What's going on?!

Thanks for any help,
Vroom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 10:18 AM

Hard drive diagnostic?

Louis

#3 Vroom125

Vroom125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:15 PM

I think I might have figured it out. I did a little bit of research and found out the the write-back cache on hard drives causes problems with raid configurations when there are sudden power losses or shut downs. The hard drives I'm using have 16 MB caches, so I just disabled the write-back cache, and although this will slow the computer down a little, I think it will fix the problem. Then I'll change it again when I'm done benchmarking and stress testing.

I'll try this out and see if it works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users