Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

monitor 'blinks' during heavy load

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 scrimpty

scrimpty

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 02:14 AM

my computer works fine any time i'm just surfing the web or using generic programs for business, etc, but when i turn on a game (WoW or even Vista version of solitaire) or watch an HD video the monitor will 'blink.' it turns off for just a few seconds then comes back on. i don't even think saying that it turns off is a fair way of saying it. the light on my monitor never changes from its' blue (normal) state. i'm assuming that means that the feed from the video card is being interrupted somehow. it makes playing pretty much anything impossible as sometimes a 'blink' will only be 1-2 seconds but other times it will last up to 5 seconds. it can also end up 'blinking' immediately after coming back from a previous 'blink.' the video card is a bit old, but psu is fairly new. psu is showing signs of wear, tho. the fan has troubles starting up sometimes. a few power outages a couple weeks ago i think is to blame. my question is, without buying all new components to test which one is to blame, is there any way to tell what's causing the problem? since my video card is a bit old now anyway, should i just upgrade both regardless of what the issue is? (video card: Radeon x1950Pro. PSU: Cooler Master 650W)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

Since either the PSU or video card [or even both] the only way I would know of to determine which it is, without buying anything , would be to install the video card in another computer & try playing a game with it.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users