Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display suddenly went narrow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dominose

dominose

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:46 PM

I was playing a DVD on Windows Media Center. It suddenly stopped playing, I ejected it, put it back in, tried to play it without success. Eventually I took the DVD out, restarted my computer, it said "windows did not shut down normally", when it rebooted, the display that used to take up the whole screen now takes up about 40% of the width, starting from the left side of the screen. It's also not taking up all of the height of the screen, there's a black area at the bottom. The characters and everythiing are narrower.
Also to the right of the 40%, there's a second copy of about the rightmost 1/5 of the display. This copy is also squashed so it's narrower.
The right half of the screen is black.
I have a Toshiba laptop, this happened to the laptop screen.
So whatever is going on, and what can I do about it???
thanks
Laura

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:24 PM

Have you tried to reboot once again?
Have you checked your screen resolution?
If the problem still remains, your driver might have been corrupted.
Have you tried to check its status in your Device Manager, and to reinstall or update it?

#3 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 06:36 AM

Have you tried to reboot once again?
Have you checked your screen resolution?
If the problem still remains, your driver might have been corrupted.
Have you tried to check its status in your Device Manager, and to reinstall or update it?

Wow - it's fixed! I adjusted the font size, of all things! I was just hoping to make the tiny squashed letters more readable. So I right-clicked on the screen, chose "personalize", changed the font to large - then it restarted with bigger letters, and filled the FULL SCREEN!!! Then I changed the font back to the usual thing, and it restarted again with normal sized letters, and a full screen!!! Wow.
Laura

Edited by dominose, 08 August 2009 - 07:26 AM.

#4 Mysterysgames

Mysterysgames

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 03:58 PM

Great news! :huh:

#5 dominose

dominose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 62 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:48 PM

Great news! :huh:

Except that was only a temporary fix. I keep on having this problem, Windows "doesn't shut down normally", it says, and it comes back with the display squashed on the LH side ...

And I haven't been able to get the "Recovery and Applications/Drivers" CD to load. I put it in the PC, it whirs for a bit in there, but it doesn't come up.

Once today the CD did load successfully. And I reinstalled the video driver software again. I don't know if this is the right software to reinstall, it's something called an "Intel Media Accelerator Driver" or something like that. But, reinstalling that software didn't work!

Then I installed a Windows service pack that was available. That temporarily made the screen go back to full width. But then when I restarted the computer, changing the font size, it went back to the squashed screen!

Is it a hardware or software problem, do you think?

Laura

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users