Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

so i am thinking of repairing my computer

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Vay

Vay

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:14 PM

but first i need to know if it is a hardware problem that my computer shuts down automatically at one point at the windows xp logo loading screen at startup.

but anyways if you can't answer that, my computer has been shutting down all the time from watching you tube videos to listening to music.....

i am scared that if i go to some random computer repair store they might rip you off and take out stuff from my computer or mess with it and give you a high price for nothing......

i noticed that if i smack the top right corner of my asus LG computer with the spider web like plating on the side with some see through plastic, the computer starts again.(i smacked it because its already broken and i discovered this one day i got pissed while downloading and it shuts down and i gotta start all over again!! which was a long time ago, and i smack it a few more times afterward and i think i broke it...heheheheheh....it never gets to teh blue screen where you type in teh password)

and sometimes when i open my computer the green light near my cd rom usually flashes green a few times but sometimes it doesn't and if it doesn't, it will not start(it is not like starting is any better since it stops at the window logo loading screen and shuts down just when it finishes)

should i go repair it at some random repair shop? and take the chance or is there something i (very inexperience at computer hardware) can do?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

First, you might want to quit beating the computer.
I've been working on them for years & one of the first things I learned is beating on them doesn't fix things or make them work better,

The first thing you might want to do is remove the sode cover & inspect the CPU heatsink/fan [that would be the one on the metherboard] to see if it is dirty or loose.

While you are in there see if you can see a model number on the motherboard & post it.

It actually sounds like you have 2 seperate issues.

On the XP not starting,
Turn it on & start tapping the F8 key
You should get a screen offering startup options
[might take a few times to get it]
Use the arrow key[s] to hilite Last known good configuration & press Enter.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#3 Vay

Vay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 05:41 PM

First, you might want to quit beating the computer.
I've been working on them for years & one of the first things I learned is beating on them doesn't fix things or make them work better,

The first thing you might want to do is remove the sode cover & inspect the CPU heatsink/fan [that would be the one on the metherboard] to see if it is dirty or loose.

While you are in there see if you can see a model number on the motherboard & post it.

It actually sounds like you have 2 seperate issues.

On the XP not starting,
Turn it on & start tapping the F8 key
You should get a screen offering startup options
[might take a few times to get it]
Use the arrow key[s] to hilite Last known good configuration & press Enter.

the computer is too old and i have to get a new one, that is the problem after we brought it to be fixed....sorry for late post because i am now using my sister's computer.

i want to transfer my files form my hard drive, and the store worker recommended airlink 101 SATA?IDE enclosure. I don't know if it works but here is the link to the product: http://www.airlink101.com/products/aenu35se.php

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,086 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 AM

Posted 05 September 2009 - 06:02 PM

FWIW: I don't think it's a good idea to use that particular vendor.

As for enclosures, they are available: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList....amp;Order=PRICE

I'd suggest a docking station that accommodates both 2.5" and 3.5" for approx the same price...over the suggestion made the store worker.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users