Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD with Msoft USB mouse

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rmahn

rmahn

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:11 PM

Hope someone can help me here.

Here's what happened:

Things worked find for years. I connected a MP3 player and system asked for a reboot. Upon reboot, I got BSOD. It didn't matter what option I used -- safe mode with cli, diag, any and all. I was giving up and resigned to have to do a full re-install. Then I happened to boot the system to find out the particulars of the BSOD when <surprise, surprise> it came up. Everything seemed okay. Then I inserted the Msoft wheel mouse optical USB mouse. Immediately I got the BSOD, with almost no information. The only non-boilerplate stuff I got was this:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc000001D, 0xF8C098E6, 0xFC09738, 0xF8C094E4)

As best I can tell, I get this on any boot if the mouse is plugged in (including safe mode cli). If the mouse isn't plugged in it seems to act normally.

I assume it's some driver somewhere.

So here are my questions:

1. Is there a particular driver that comes in when the Wheel Mouse Optical USB and PS2 Compatible is connected to the USB port (btw this is a low speed USB, not version 2)? If so, how do I remove it without creating too much havoc in the system?

2. Any other suggestions at all????

Thanks in advance

rich

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:58 PM

Try a different mouse, PS2 type if available.

Louis

#3 Charybdis

Charybdis

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:54 PM

And if you have a working ps/2 mouse try uninstalling everything under the universal serial bus heading and restart hte pc to let it redetect. This can sometimes fix usb driver issues

#4 rmahn

rmahn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:59 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:42 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. My laptop doesn't have a PS2 interface, so I couldn't try that. I did try another mouse and the identical thing happened. I uninstalled Microsoft Intellipoint and that didn't help. I wasn't able to uninstall the USB drivers--I don't know why, but I was able to roll back one of the USB drivers and that fixed the problem. Both the "bad" driver and the "old" one were dated 2001, but everything is back to normal now. Thanks again for the help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users