Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet is slow on one computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 caminante11

caminante11

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

We have two computers hooked up to an internet connection. One computer is fine and one has a super slow internet. Downloading anything is near impossible and any complicated pages time out. The other processing on the computer does not seem extremely slow.

I also get constant messages saying "Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged". I replaced the network cable and that has not helped. The computer has not been acting strange other than that. I got this message even before the internet was acting very slow.

I posted in the malware forum but various scans showed it to be clean from malware. The advisor suggested that I post here.

I also contacted the internet service provider and they identified it as a PC rather than a network issue. I am posting this the second computer on the same network which is acting fine.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 06:09 PM

I am assuming the Malware forum had you clean out the history and stuff? Defrag? All that.

What version windows we talking about?

for XP - Click Start -> Click run -> type cmd -> hit Enter -> in the black box type ping www.google.com and post what it shows.

for Vista - Click Start -> type command in the search box -> on Command prompt, right click and click Run as Admin -> then type ping www.google.com and post what shows.

Has it ever been fast?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 caminante11

caminante11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:16 PM

Hi, thanks for answering.

It got extremely slow about 3 weeks ago. Before that it was fine.

It is windows XP.

Attached is what showed from the ping:

Pinging www.1.google.com [66.102.1.99] with 32 bytes of data

PING: transmit failed, error code 31
Reply from 66.102.1.99: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=241
Reply from 66.102.1.99: bytes=32 time=1530ms TTL=241
Reply from 66.102.1.99: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=241

Ping statistics for 66.102.1.99:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 3, Lost = 1 (25% loss).
Approximate round trip times in milli-second:
Minimum = 32ms, Maximum = 1530 ms, Average = 531ms

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:07 AM

First - did the malware peeps have you clean your history, cookies, temp files etc...? defrag the PC? if not, I'd do that now. I use CCleaner and Smart Defrag but this forum has tons of freeware.

Once you've done that, see if that solved your issue. If not we move on to resetting your TCP/IP stack.

Click Start -> Click run -> type cmd -> hit Enter -> in the black box type netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt and hit Enter. If no error occurs reboot your PC and see if that fixes the issue.

While you are there, lets find out the name of the NIC: Hold down the Windows key(the key between the ALT and Ctrl keys) and type the Pause/Break key -> Click the Hardware tab -> click the Device manager button -> in the list click the + beside Network Adapters and post what is listed there. We might need to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. =)

Edited by CaveDweller2, 08 August 2009 - 01:12 AM.

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 caminante11

caminante11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:43 AM

Thanks again for your answer. I will be away from the computer in question for around a week. I hope you can keep this thread open until then when I will go through your suggestions above.

Thanks again!

#6 DCWyld

DCWyld

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

Have you checked the ends of the Ethernet cable, they sometimes get pulled out a little. Or maybe try a different cable altogether.

#7 caminante11

caminante11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2009 - 03:45 PM

Hi, I replaced the ethernet cable when I first had this issue and nothing changed as a result.

I reset the log as noted below and defragged the PC. I had used ATF Cleaner.

The situation is the same on the PC.

Under network adapters, it reads Intel® 8256V 10/100 Network Connection

Thanks again!

#8 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

The last thing I can think of is to remove your adapter from Device manager and see about installing drivers. I found these drivers for your NIC.

This is what I would do: Download that file but wait to run it. Go into device manager, right click on the NIC listed and remove. Reboot your PC and see if it installs new drivers and that takes care of it for you. If not, run the file. It should extract files and then update the drivers for the NIC.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users