Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"DCOM Server Process Terminated Unexpectedly"

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 S. Langfield

S. Langfield

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:02 PM

Hello all. I'm typing this from another computer, as my infected PC cannot connect to the Internet. My OS is Windows XP SP2. My security consists of AVG Free (antivirus), an outdated version of Comodo Firewall Pro (firewall), MalwareBytes, and Windows Defender. I wouldn't know if this is adequate protection--I'm a "casual user," if that's the term--but it's worked for me so far.

Initially I received this error message while surfing the web on Firefox: This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown initiated by NT Authority\System.

Below that, it reads: Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher Service terminated unexpectedly.

Not knowing what to do then, I just let the countdown run out and my computer rebooted. All seemed normal. Then Comodo started acting up. At the lower right corner of my screen, above the clock, I received pop-up messages that the Application Monitor and other components of the firewall were no longer working, and that I should re-install Comodo to see if the problem would go away. I wasn't able to get the message word for word, I apologize. So I opened up the Comodo Firewall to see what was going on, and the Application Monitor, Component Monitor, Network monitor, and Application Behavior Analysis had all been shut off. When I tried to turn each of them back on, Comodo wouldn't let me. So, I uninstalled Comodo, rebooted, and now I didn't have a firewall. I tried to download the newest version of Comodo, by googling Comodo and clicking on the site's link, but instead of the Comodo website, I got redirected to some site called Shopica? I closed Firefox, started it again, and tried to enter Comodo again. Managed it this time, got the most recent Comodo Firewall, got out of Firefox, and installed Comodo's Firewall. I believe I rebooted again at this point.

Then, when I tried to start up Firefox again, I received this error message: The instruction at "0x8bfca20b" referenced memory at "0x8bfca20b". The memory could not be "read". I clicked OK and Firefox never started.

So I went to Internet Explorer. I double-clicked on that and it started up somewhat--a new window appeared and filled the screen, and it had a blue title bar, but the contents of the window was completely white. The window then disappeared. This appear-disappear thing happened over the course of one or two seconds.

Finally, Opera. It started up no problem, but displayed that it couldn't find google (my home page for Opera), possibly because I wasn't connected to the Internet... and I wasn't, apparently. My computer wasn't connected at all. So I click on My Network Places, and I get this error message: The instruction at "0x8c18a20b" referenced memory at "0x8c18a20b". The memory could not be "read". I clicked on OK, and then I got another message: This system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown initiated by NT Authority\System.

Below that, it reads: Windows must now restart because the DCOM Server Process Launcher Service terminated unexpectedly.

This time I did Start > Run... > shutdown -a to stop the shutdown process, but now I don't know that to do. I ran MalwareBytes, both a quick scan and a full scan, nothing. AVG Free as well, nothing. My limited research on my problem directed me to something called "MSBlast." I was encouraged when I saw error messages similar to mine were caused by MSBlast, and I downloaded an MSBlast removal tool from Symantec. Apparently it finds and removes any of the worm's variants on my computer, but it couldn't find anything either.

I'm completely out of my league here. How do I get my internet connection back, and how do I get rid of whatever's causing all this? My computer only displays that "DCOM Server Process Launcher Service terminated unexpectly" message when I double click on My Network Places.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users