Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken Laptop//Need the data from it.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Calypsobutt

Calypsobutt

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:16 PM

Okay heres the skinny. My friend stepped on her laptop and busted the screen. The laptop will also not turn on at all.

How do I get information on the broken laptop's hard drive onto a new laptop?

(please be very specific, I'm not too savvy with this type of problem)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:28 PM

If the hard drive is not damaged...there are various ways.

If the hard drive is SATA, then you simply need to connect it to SATA connector on a different system.

You could use something like this docking station, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817121050 . The station connects to a system via USB 2.0, providing access to either 2.5" or 3.5" SATA drives.

You could simply buy an enclosure, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16817348022 . Enclosure connects via USB 2.0 connection to system.

When you say "information", you need to realize that you will not be able to just move existing programs from one drive to another. But...you could either backup or clone the existing drive, if that was your desire.

Louis

#3 prasad11

prasad11

• Banned
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:29 PM

I'm no hardware guy, I still think that disks employ little elves running very fast among large filing cabinets.

There are service that will recover your hard dirve for somewhere between $300 and $1,200. Sorry to drop that on you but they usually succeed. It's a mechanical problem normally, and they can remove the medium and install it on a new transport medium, as long as the read-write head hasn't taken a nosedive into the surface and destroyed it. More likely, some gear popped out and the disk wobbles rather than spins. Or they just need to plug something in. They're like auto mechanics, you never know whether to trust them -- maybe they just spent 15 minutes and charged you $500. Still, it's a lifesaver.

Maybe you can send it to India somewhere and they'll do the same for a fraction of the cost.

Or you could spend a few days learning how to do this yourself, buy hundreds of dollars in necessary parts, and probably screw things up even worse.

-----------------

Edited by garmanma, 11 August 2009 - 05:55 PM.
spam link removed

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,245 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:31 PM

Well...there are cheaper things to try :thumbsup: before considering that particular option.

The key is whether or not the drive itself is damaged.

Louis

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:36 PM

I have one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-2-0-to-SATA-IDE-Ha...id=p3286.c0.m14

It works great and will handle not just SATA but IDE drives as well (2.5" & 3.5").

New Egg has it for $20 but I have seen it on ebay for much less.

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users