Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

chkdsk will not run

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dssw10

dssw10

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:43 AM

Attempt to run chkdsk /r and (as expected) get response that it cannot run now , would I like to run it after the next reboot. I respond Y but when I reboot it does not run. It will run from the CMD prompt but only with no switches set.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:49 AM

No error message if you try to run from command prompt with /r switch?

No message upon reboot?

Louis

#3 dssw10

dssw10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 05:35 AM

The message running in CMD is
The type of file system is NTFS
Cannot lock current drive
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process

There is some message on rebooting but it is not displayed long enough for me to read it

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 09:44 AM

That message from the command prompt...is factual and routine.

XP cannot run a chkdsk /r on a partition...while XP is open.

Part of that message should have queried as to whether you would like to run the chkdsk /r on reboot. Answer has to be Y and hit Enter.

I've not run chkdsk /r from the command prompt in some time...but XP may then give the option of rebooting the system right away, so that the command can be properly executed.

You are saying that these things did not happen in the sequence described?

Do you have an XP CD? Have you tried running chkdsk /r from the Recovery Console?

How to use CHKDSK in the XP Recovery Console - http://pirules3.14.googlepages.com/recovery_console_chkdsk

Have you tried running the equivalent command from My Computer/Explorer?

http://vlaurie.com/computers2/Articles/chkdsk.htm See Graphical Interface directions...but put employ both options (automatically fix...scan for).

Louis

#5 dssw10

dssw10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:43 AM

To all of the above, yes, I have. I do understand that chkdsk will not run with any switch from the command prompt. It has to reboot to run.

I finally got enough of the flashed message that comes up on reboot after attempting chkdsk /r in command mode and responding Y to 'do I want it to run at restart. It says the type of file system is RAW and the program cannot run on that file system (or something like that)

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:19 AM

That's not good news...that means that Windows does not see NTFS as the file system used...which, in turn, translates into an inability for Windows to read that partition.

You need to resort to recovery software to try to retrieve any data from that partition...or a linux distro that can read the partition.

I would try the linux distro route first.

I'm not familiar with any linux distros that might help, but others here are...wait for more feedback from others.

Louis

#7 dssw10

dssw10
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 04:04 PM

I stumbled upon the solution after I ran the repair option from my installation CD. The CD was at SP2. Once SP3 downloaded I disabled my McAfee and ran the SP3 installation. That seems to have reset the file format to NTFS. CHKDSK ran as soon as I rebooted.

I am thinking a lot of the issues I have had are due to SP3 not being properly installed. It is important that you disable your virus protection and any spyware/malware bots when installing SP3

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2009 - 05:25 PM

<<It is important that you disable your virus protection and any spyware/malware bots when installing SP3.>>

That's not true, although some suggest such.

I've always installed every SP for every version of Windows...fully protected and never had any problems. I've installed SPs via WUS and directly from my hard drive, no problems.

But...I don't use McAfee anything...and that may have been a problem for your efforts, http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=d...mp;oq=&aqi=

Louis.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users