Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Registry error installing Adobe Reader 9.1

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 dssw10

dssw10

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

Trying to upgrade to Adobe Reader 9.1 from 7.0. It is near completion when I get an error message
Error 1402, could not open HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN\OPTIONAL COMPONENTS\MSFS. Verify that you have sufficient access to that key.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

There's an answer, I think...but let's try something easy first.

MSFS appears to be Microsoft Flight Simulator...I have no idea why an Adobe install would try to reference that particular key.

http://help.lockergnome.com/general/Adobe-...opict57642.html

My suggestion would be to uninstall Adobe everything (other than Flash)...and leave it off your system. The comments about Adobe Reader made in the link are shared by many.

I also suggest using the Foxit Reader and allowing Adobe to become a thing of the past.

Louis

#3 LemB767

LemB767

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2009 - 11:13 PM

Had to join this forum to pass on my success fixing the installation of ADOBE 9.1. I couldn't even install the older Adobe versions. I kept getting "error 1402" and a problem with: hkey_local_machine\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\run\optionalcomponents\msfs .
I cleaned up the registry by getting freeware to do so at a trusted download site (CNET), but that didn't help, but man, there sure were a bunch of loose ends in there. I then finally gave in and updated the browser by installing IE8 to see if that would help. Setting that up diverted me for a while, but no success.

I found success after using a FIX it program on a Microsoft website dealing with resetting the security setting. It was from this page dealing with "Method 1" to fix an install problem and I clicked on the link: 313222 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222/ ) "How do I restore security settings to the default settings?" This then takes you here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/313222/. Then I clicked on the box with the little dude holding a wrench. It takes about 10 mintes and you'll see the COMMAND screen open up and it'll do its thing.

Then I went back to the folder on my machine and clicked on the set up (or download it again from adobe), for ADOBE 9.1 and finally had the thing install. Hope this helps.

Edited by LemB767, 05 September 2009 - 11:15 PM.

#4 King Lion

King Lion

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 12 January 2010 - 11:57 AM

Thank you LemB767 for the valuable information. It solved my problem with AdobeReader 9.2 installation!
I just don't know why it happened...

#5 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Members
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2010 - 12:58 PM

You are fortunate that it worked for you
This should have been brought to your attention first

The steps below do not apply to Windows XP Home Edition, or Windows Vista Home Basic and Home Premium editions.

Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#6 taffimup

taffimup

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

@ LemB767; THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Your recommendation worked; had the same problem as yours and
tried to fix it for months unsuccessfully until now. Thanks!!!

#7 dotcarterdot

dotcarterdot

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 07:48 AM

Thank GOD!!!!! I had uninstalled adobe reader for it's notorious security issues, but had to have it for an online class I was taking. I had tried lots of things unsuccessfullly until lems advice worked. Thank you, thank you, thank you! :thumbsup:

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,887 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:46 AM

No one needs Adobe Reader...alternatives are available.

Google List, Adobe Reader Alternatives

Among them are the Foxit Reader...the only negative I find about it is that it will install the Ask toolbar if the user doesn't do a custom install. Installation of this is easily circumvented by not electing to install the Ask/Foxit toolbar...or simply uninstalling it via Add/Remove Programs later.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users