Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to setup network printer

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 C4NT

C4NT

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Hello,

I am currently unable to add a network printer on my laptop at work.

The printer is setup on a desktop PC running XP, the desktop PC connects to the internet/network via an ethernet cable. I work in a university lab, and use the university's wireless internet.

There are two colleagues (who also use the Universities wireless internet) who were able to find and connect to the network printer. They run Vista and found the printer very easily by running the Add Printer wizard --> selected a network printer option, and added by typing \\IP_address\Printer_name information. Afterward, we went back and found that they could browse for a printer and find it that way too.

There is one other colleague running Vista also who cannot add the printer as they did, and is in the same boat as I am in.

I have tried to browse for the printer and connect to it by inputting the \\IP_address\Printer_name information as well. I also tried to add through the local printer method and added a new TCP/IP port, inputting the IP address in the Add port window, but again with no luck. We both can see and print to other printers that are on another research groups network, but not the one we are trying to setup.

Does anyone know any reason why 2 people running Vista could find the printer easily, and 2 people (1 running Vista, and 1 running XP) can not add or see the printer at all.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate hearing them. Also please let me know if you need any additional information about any of the systems used.

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

Is there any difference in security software installed, running? In particular firewalls.

Is the only error you are getting is that the printer can not be found?

Is file and printer sharing enabled on both problem machines?

If you have an IT Dept. you may want to check with them to see if perhaps they have limited the amount of users allowed at one time or specified which users are allowed to use it at all.

#3 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:53 PM

Are all of the Vista Business or Ultimate and is the XP an XP Pro?

Like ThunderZ said, check file and printer sharing. There are 2 places.

Go to Start>Control Panel>Security>Firewall. Select the exceptions (or exclusions) tab and verify that File and Printer Sharing is checked.

There is also a place in the file options that needs looking at. Right-Click My Computer, Left-Click Explore. Select Tools>Folder Options>View and go all the down to DESELECT Use Simple File Sharing. Hit OK, OK and OK.

You say it is a network printer but actually it is hooked up to a workstation. Permissions must be correct on the printer proerties as well as securities, in order for you to be allowed to print.

Possibly you are not in a Group that is allowed to print. See if it is shared to Everyone.

DR

#4 C4NT

C4NT
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:08 AM

Hello,

I am running XP Pro, and the Vista machine that is unable to connect is running Home Premium. Both machines have "File and Printer Sharing" exceptions checked in the Firewall menu. The XP desktop PC which is physically connected to the printer also has this exception checked.

I tried doing this suggestion...

"There is also a place in the file options that needs looking at. Right-Click My Computer, Left-Click Explore. Select Tools>Folder Options>View and go all the down to DESELECT Use Simple File Sharing. Hit OK, OK and OK."

...but there was no "simple File Sharing" selection to deselect.

I may have been incorrect about some of the explanations for what this printer is. It is hooked up directly to a desktop PC, which is connected to the network by an Ethernet cable. So what I meant when I said connect to a network printer, what I mean is that I am trying to connect to the printer through the network, and not by a cable. Sorry for any confusion.

I have checked with our "IT" person, but he is a computer science grad student whom are lab hires part time. He took a look at it and couldn't come up with any solutions so I thought I go looking for a solution on my own. I can connect to the desktop PC via Remote Desktop Connection (because I have to use some software on it) and print that way, but that is a bit of a pain so I am still trying to connect to the printer directly.

Anyways thanks for your suggestions.

I'll keep you posted if I get it fixed.

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:57 PM

Posted 10 August 2009 - 01:56 PM

OK, that explains it better.

I keep thinking it is a matter of permissions or security. The Workstation needs to enable File and Printer Sharing and then the Printer must be shared. But then, I think you already have done that...

I would search the Sharing and Security for the Printer, the Workstation and compare those to your own workstation as well as to the ones that CAN print.

Here are a couple of links that might help. Check them out as they do appear to relate to your situation.

http://www.home-network-help.com/simple-file-sharing.html

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727037.aspx

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users