Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeze after start up, possibly SecuROM related?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JasonFlint

JasonFlint

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:39 PM

I'm having real trouble with my computer freezing a few seconds after startup. When I first boot up the pc, it will load through everything perfectly (albeit a little slower than normal), pop up the normal windows i get on start up (permission for fwupdate.exe and the little welcome to windows explorer) until it gets to the normal desktop view, where it will freeze completely. It would do this every time i restarted it, no matter how many times I tried, and would stay frozen no matter how long I left it. It recently started doing this right after I installed Titan Quest for the first time a few weeks ago. I didn't know what to do, and I was about to leave for the weekend, so i just turned it off and left it for a few days. But oddly, when i came back monday and turned it on again, it worked fine, like there had never been a problem. So i went on for a bit, installed C&C Red Alert 3 and played around with it, then went for and installed Medieval 2 Total War. This is when the problem started again. This time it didn't fix itself even when i left it off over the weekend (which is a silly thing to hope for, but i was willing to try anything) and it will continue to freeze every time its started in normal Windows mode, and stay frozen until restarted. I thought about it, and came to the conclusion that the whole problem might have been related to that crappy SecuROM spyware thing that EA puts in most of its products now (i had installed several of EA's SecuROM infested products before but never had a problem) seeing as how the installation of Titan Quest and Medieval 2 (does not contain SecuROM) made the problem crop up while installing Command and Conquer Red Alert 3 (does contain SecuROM) didn't make the computer act any differently. I have already tried running EA's official SecuROM removal tool, but to no avail. The only way I can use the pc is in safe mode (where i ran numerous deep virus scans with avast! as well as the SecuROM remover) where it will open and operate normally.

Any help/advice you guys could give me would be appreciated. This computer is a pretty expensive gaming pc, and, i really dont' want to have to take it to a overpriced pc repair shop.

Thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JasonFlint

JasonFlint
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 08:29 AM

i can post any additional details if need be. I'm not great with computers, so I'm not too sure of what else would be helpful though.

#3 tork

tork

• Members
  • 718 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:13 PM

I found "SecuROM Removal Tutorial" Revised
but must tell you I have never used it, so I can't go any further.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users