Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware problem?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 WolfyMoniz

WolfyMoniz

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:16 PM

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum and come to you in desperation. I'm hoping that someone on the forum can help. My apologies in advance cause this is going to be long. I'll start by giving my computer info:

ASUS P5K MoBo
Core 2 Duo E6750 2.66 GHz, 4MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB
2 gigs Patriot DDR2 RAM, PC2-8500 1066 MHz 5-5-5-9, 2.3V (oringinal RAM)
2 gigs OCZ Fatality DDR2 RAM, PC-8500 1066 MHz 5-5-5-9 2.3V (upgraded RAM)
Geforce 8800GTS, 320 MB DDR3
Antec 500W PSU
Sound Blaster XFi Extreme Audio
Seagate HD, 320 GB (forget the specifics)
WD external HD, 1 TB (eSATA connected with its own dedicated power supply)
+Wireless adapter, DVDrom

It all started when my computer started to slow down and operate below standards. I decided to reformat the computer and do a little upgrading. I bought a new WD external hard drive to transfer and back up all my files/folders and 2 gigs of OCZ ram to keep up with evolving and more demanding programs. The first thing I ran and installed was the new hard drive to transfer everything over. I noticed the computer slowed down and acted quite weird while doing so but didn't think much of it or care cause I figured the reformat would take care of everything.

Anyways, I reformatted the computer and everything went smoothly; no error messages. I reinstalled all the drivers for the MoBo, sound card, graphics card etc. along with the new RAM. Things started to go wonky. WoW wouldn't play at the highest settings anymore and more importantly the computer began to decide to shut itself off randomly. Then when I tried to reboot the computer it would start up, fans would start spinning, then everything would shut down almost immediately before posting. The problem would some how fix itself when I would open the computer up and fiddle around with the wires and make sure everything was seated. The computer would boot but bring me to a black screen that said " Overclocking Failed. Press F1 to load setup. Press F2 to load default values and continue." even though I have NEVER tried to overclock anything. None of the options would work, I would restart and the computer would start normally. However, the computer would randomly shut itself off sometime after that. This cycled about 6-8 times randomly over a week before finally, tonight, it shut off and fiddling the wires would help none at all. I took all RAM out but 1 piece to see what would happen and the computer booted up no problem.

A few things came to mind about what the problem could be:
A) My power supply is insufficient and whenever a piece of hardware or two tries to draw more power it goes bye bye.
:thumbsup: Faulty piece of RAM; I tried every piece of RAM in slot 1 and they all worked. I also tried a single piece of RAM in every slot and it all worked.
C) Incompatibility with RAM; although the sales rep who sold me the RAM said i would have no issues with the 2 name brands.

I was wondering if anyone else has come across a similar problem or if anyone knows what the problem might be. I'm personally thinking its an insufficient power supply. I knew I was walking the line with this PSU because the graphics cards requires a minimum 400W supply so now I'm curious if I really pushed it over the edge with the new RAM or if its some other hardware problem. All I want is my computer to run properly and to use my graphics card to its max potential like I used to be able to. I would like to hear what everyone thinks and recommends before I act on a solution. Thank you very much.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:41 AM

As a general rule...when I start to get indications that there is something amiss in the CMOS settings/funcionality...I replace the CMOS battery.

But...the symptoms you describe also tend to make me suspect a possible PSU issue. As indicated at http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2066067.php

Louis

#3 the_muse

the_muse

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:28 AM

Have you made sure that the Fatality is at those timings?? As OCZ says the ram has the timings of 7-7-7-20.. Which can be a problem trying to keep with the tighter timings of your other ram!

Download the program below and let us know what your temps and voltages are..CPUid hardware monitor

And CPUZ for your ram.. Just click on the memory tab..

CPUz

EDIT: just download pc wizzard and click on the timings voltages and temp button.,.. I like pc wizzard better than cpu z

CPUZ PCwizzard Here is the program.. Its great and free.

Posted Image

Edited by the_muse, 07 August 2009 - 10:43 AM.

#4 WolfyMoniz

WolfyMoniz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:15 PM

Thanks for the comments guys! Thanks for the post you forwarded Louis.

I'm thinking that either the PSU or RAM is the culprit. Muse, the timings listed on the sticker of the RAM sticks says its 5-5-5 2.1V.... I don't know what the last number is but the guy in the store said it was "9". Whether or not he lied to me to make the sale is questionable.

I have decided to bring my computer in to shop that was highly recommended by my friend. The employee's initial thought was the PSU so they are going to test how the computer runs with a more capable power supply and also check to see if there are any compatibility issues with the RAM. Unfortunately I don't have the computer with me in my possession at the moment to check the voltages. I do remember going into the BIOS before sending it off to check the voltages and everything seemed to be within a reasonable tolerance.

Anyhow I'm glad to get this computer problem off my chest and leave it on someone elses. I'm sick of it haha. Hopefully they can figure it all out.

Thanks for your input guys!

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:22 PM

Sounds like you've done the right thing...you garnered a few educated guesses, tried a couple of things...and gave it to someone who can easily troubleshoot certain premises that have been bounced around here (but none of us can test).

Keep us posted as to what transpires :thumbsup:. We'd like to know and it may help someone in a similar situation.

Louis

#6 WolfyMoniz

WolfyMoniz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 07:32 PM

Hey again everyone,

So i got my computer back and apparently for my rig the PSU was capable enough to run everything but would hold back the graphics card or cpu in any intense situations... I decided to get a new 750W power supply anyways cause I was tired of dogging it with that PSU.

So it turned out the major problem was that the CPU fan was not seated fully atop the CPU, one of the clips were off... I installed everything myself so I definitely know i seated it properly. However I've moved 5 times in the last year and a half and unfortunately my computer has seen some bumpy rides... I'm convinced it was the traveling that did it.

Just when I thought I checked everything, not once did I think of checking that... So, if anyone else has a similar problem make sure to check that CPU fan and save your self a few bucks.

Thanks to everyone!

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,264 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:07 PM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :thumbsup:.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users