Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtumundo Aftermath: Blank screen.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kayin

kayin

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:33 PM

So I noticed some things have been up with my desktop. Subtle things, but just enough to make me go 'hey somethings up'.

So I get and run a2 in safe mode and it find a virtumonde install. So I tell it to remove it and while trying to remove one of the files, the explorer closes. Then it tells me it can't. Then the system blue screens.

Well, now nothing will boot. I get 'into' windows, with a blank black screen and a moveable mouse (with safe mode, I got the 'safe mode' tags in the corner). no Ctrl+Alt+Delete or anything like that.

So I go into the recovery console and try and fix the master boot record. No dice. Tried manual system restore (from a few points) no dice. Try disabling mup.sys (I dunno, I read somewhere that sometimes that cases problems)... Of course, no dice. I also do not have my XP CD anymore. I certainly could get an XP professional CD at some point if necessary though.

Anyways I'm sort of stuck and running out of options here. Any advice to help dig me out of this dark, cold, recovery console only hole?

Edited by kayin, 06 August 2009 - 07:35 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

Try running check-disk:

chkdsk /r
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 kayin

kayin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:14 PM

Ran. Took forever. Apparently found some errors, but the end result was no change. Same blank screen and mouse. Thanks though. Any other suggestions?

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:17 PM

Did you try "fixboot"?

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documen...t.mspx?mfr=true
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 kayin

kayin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:22 PM

Same deal. Not too surprised. It technically does boot up, it just does so in a way that doesn't let me do anything. At this rate, worse case scenario I'll do a repair install, but any other ideas are certainly welcome.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:24 PM

My only other suggestion would be the "bootcfg /rebuild" command.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/291980

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 kayin

kayin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:51 PM

Once again, no luck. Thanks for the attempts though!

#8 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:56 PM

I think it's time for the repair install then.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users