Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 the_muse

the_muse

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:35 PM

Hello all, long time watcher first time posting.

Ok I just got got my computer put together. I want to raid 3 of my hard drives..I have 3 64 gig SSD'S..

Should I take al three and Raid them or just 2? I want to do rai0 as I have 3 other 500 gig 32 meg cache Hardives for back up etc,,

Once I get the Raid set up would it be better to have a couple partitions? Like on y older pc I had 3 partitions on my raid..
I had one for XP, 1 for the program files (like nero any other programs etc as I did not want to cloud my c drive)

Or should I leave it all one partition? And throw Windows 7 on there and have all the program files etc on the c drive as well?
I want to put program files on a different hard drive at the beginning of the disk as it will read it faster correct? As I know the page file needs to go on another Hard drive..

Sorry so long.
The SSD's will be in a
coolermaster cosmos 1000s
AMD 955
Sapphire Tech 4870x2
And 8 gigs of OCZ Reaper.
All with Windows 7 64 bit..

I mostly want the raid for gaming..

Thank you all for your time..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

We use 2 drives for the C: drive, the system drive, and then mirror them. You probably already know that is called RAID1. The 2 drives give you redundancy and keep the system files from the rest of the files.

The "Data" drive is usually done with a RAID 5, using a minimum of 3 drives. This gives you your fastest response. Plus, if any one drive goes under, the volume can still be rebuilt with the remaining drives.

There is also RAID0, which you can do with 2 drives, but that has no redundancy. Something to think about...

DR

#3 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:49 PM

I have 2 drives in EAID 0 .
For performance that is the way to go.
If you use 2 64GB drives I'd leave them as 1 partition.
It doesn't make much sense to have 2 partitions in RAID 0 since if anything happens to the arrat you are going to lose both partitions any how.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#4 the_muse

the_muse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:01 AM

Thanks guys!
Ya I know about raid 1 and 5..
I want to go the 5 way but then again I dont feel like buying 3 more SSD drives lol. At 200 a pop for 64 gigs it breaks the bank for the yearly pc build..

I have been building pc for 10 years now I just never got into raid! And now since the SSD's are out and fast dang fast buy themselves I wanted to see how they where in raid 0
I will just leave it on 1 partition for all three drives..JUst put Windows 7 on there and still dual boot with SuSe (linux) on one of thwe other 500 gig hard drives.

AGain thanks for your time!

#5 rigacci

rigacci

Fiorentino

• Members
  • 2,604 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:45 PM

How about using 4 drives? :thumbsup:

2 would be in a RAID0 while the other 2 would be a RAID1. :flowers:

With this arrangement you get the extra speed while still maintaining redundancy. :trumpet:

DR

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users