Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to Receive the Results of an Online Form

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Extrodewise

Extrodewise

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:33 PM

Hi Y'all,
I've been thinking of this for months now: I've got a website set-up and hosted but I need to know what methods are available for getting the results of the online forms. A list of the methods would be available together with highlights on the methods that would not require 'much' programming. Thanks in anticipation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:16 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:55 PM

The form element in an HTML page is all one needs to send the results of a form to the server. There needs to be some sort of a program on the server to get the results though. Then you will need to do something with the results, I suppose. I don't know what you want to do, or what you consider not 'much' programming. The easiest way would be to email the contents of the form. There are a bunch of threads on how to do this, so I am not going to take the time to explain them again. Just use the search feature for "email forms".

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:37 PM

it also depends on what server you are running and whether it has php or asp etc... maybe give a little more information?

There are loads of results on google for "contact form for website" here's a link http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&...orm+for+website

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:47 AM

@Groovicus: Thanks. I'd use the feature and see what I can come up with. @KamakaZ: Well, this new form is for the server I talked about in my other thread. It's NOT going to be connected to the internet and so, eMailing the form results is not ideal for me. Maybe having the results appended to a certain page each time a user hits the submit button would be ideal for me, dont know exactly how to do this (especially as I am not familiar with CGI). I do not need the server or any other service to process the results, it's basically gonna be for feedback purposes so something simple will do.
Thanks Groovicus and KamakaZ, you guys have been good to me!!!

#5 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

Are you familiar with PHP, or ASP, or Java? Do you have any programming experience at all?

#6 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:01 PM

Programming experience??? NO, working on that (first things first). But I believe they should be ready-made scripts (GCI or whatever) out there I could manipulate to allow my form results to be written to a page; that's what I'm looking for at the moment.

#7 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 02:10 PM

This may be helpful:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/155372/creating-a-log-in-page-with-xampp-and-php/

#8 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 04:46 AM

Hi Groovicus,
I've bene through the documentation in the link you provided. Interesting combination of HTML and PHP you've got there; BUT I haven't figured out how this can help me set-up a machinery where users fill my intranet form and the results get appended to a particular page each time. Perharps I'm not seeing something you are, would appreciate clarification on this, thanks!

#9 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:18 PM

Sorry Groovicus, but i'm also a little lost...

You could look at this: http://woork.blogspot.com/2009/05/how-to-i...l-facebook.html

I used it once before to imitate the "wall" on "facebook"... Works rather well, had a few problems, but once ironed out, worked a treat!

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#10 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 06:50 PM

The thread shows how to send form data to a server, and then display the data in a new web page. The fact that it is a password and user name combination is irrelevant. It is form data.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users