Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to set up a domain on a server for an intranet site

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Extrodewise

Extrodewise

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:30 PM

Hi Guyz!
I've been brainstorming for a while. I need to have a small intranet site set up for my department in school. I know that this should involve a server running with some server OS (I chose MS Server 2003) with a router to disseminate the signals for the intranet. I've got that set up, but what do I do next. I'm a web developer (upcoming actually) and I've already constructed the web pages for the intranet, question is: how do I configure the server such that when a user connects to the network hosted by the server and types the URL I'd specify, it serves the index.html page to the user??? Also, I'd appreciate tips, hints, tricks generally on setting up this intranet thing... Thanks Guys!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 05:34 PM

It would be much simpler to use WAMP or XAMPP. Setting up Windows Server is not trivial.

#3 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

If you've already got it half set up... maybe take a look at this tutorial...

http://www.simongibson.com/intranet/iis6/

There's no place like 127.0.0.1
There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#4 Extrodewise

Extrodewise
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:28 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:04 PM

@ Grovicus: WAMP or XAMPP?? Never heard of those but if Groovicus says it's good then I bet it is; would look into it. Thanks all the same. @KamakaZ: Thanks Mate! The site's really loaded with tons of stuff, will go through every page there and if I still have challenges, I'll cone right here. Thanks once again!!

#5 Romeo29

Romeo29

Learning To Bleep

• BC Advisor
  • 3,194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:02 PM

WAMP is a bundle of Apache + mySQL + PHP for Windows (W). Quick and easy to install.
XAMPP is a bundle of Apche + mySQL + PHP + Perl and is cross platform (X)

I personally prefer installing Apache mysql and PHP manually. Its much cleaner that way.

#6 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2013 - 03:29 PM

I am in basically the same boat as Extrodewise but I am running server 2008 that is already serving as our domain controller.  In short we already have a network that in heavy use by the office.  I have recently been promoted to IT.  I have a fair amount of experience with PCs and servers but most of what I have learned was learned by hard knocks and learning on the fly.  While I am not the only IT (there are two of us) but my boss (the senior IT man) also does other jobs for the company and is swamped with other things so he cant do a lot unless it is business critical right now.  We want to set up a intranet page where employees can access their home and public folders on the server as well as having a public calender for the office... you get the picture.  Does anyone have any suggested sites and or advice for how to set this up?  While I am not computer illiterate I am also not overly experienced with server 2008 and am learning as I go.

Thanks for any help or pointers you may have.

#7 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2013 - 05:55 PM

I may be wrong, but have a look at SharePoint, it may be able to do what you're after.

There are 10 types of people in the world, those that can read binary, and those who can't.

#8 hispaladin

hispaladin

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 09:34 AM

Thank you KamakaZ, I'll look into it though I am still in the search for any good reading on how suggestions for putting it together and making it work.

#9 KamakaZ

KamakaZ

• Members
  • 739 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2013 - 06:48 PM

Are the "home and public folders" the folders you see within Outlook? If so, you could just use OWA (Outlook Web Access)?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users