Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AdAware SE 1.04

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:40 PM

Hello everyone,

A lot of people have had a problem with the newest build of AdAware SE, v. 1.04, including me. Once installed, it would hang on

software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\policies\system.

I would have to End Task to close the program after canceling (?) the scan. This was done after a clean install--uninstalled the old AAW before installing 1.04. I tried a few different configurations and some other tricks, but the scan always hung.

After reading the extensive discussion at Lavasoft support;
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s...opic=44975&st=0
the trick appears to be to make sure the setup (installer) file is of the right size. Once downloaded, and you check Properties, if the file aawsepersonal.exe is 2,626,237 bytes, once installed, it will hang during a scan. If it is 2,624,460 bytes, then it should run OK.

The Majorgeeks and Download.com mirrors seem to be working, i.e., the file size is right. Other mirrors, check the file size before installing. Choose the mirrors from here:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Recap:
2,624,460 bytes --is good
2,626,237 bytes --is bad
:thumbsup:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,390 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 09:50 PM

Excellent post...thanks papa for letting us know. I think I was lucky today when I downloaded it as I had no problem... but this should help clear it up for those who do in the future

#3 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 10:04 PM

I d/l'd a zip folder yesterday, 9-6-2004 at 1:30pm. It was 2,566 Kb. From MajorGeeks, I think. I posted here about it, 6 hours later. I had no problems, but then I had no previous install, either. Col. Papakid, your sharp eye to detail is what prompts me to post. I have a slightly smaller package for some reason. It provokes thoughts. One would think a release version would not vary at all from one day to the next, eh? :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#4 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,522 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 07 September 2004 - 11:16 PM

phawgg, I don't know, guess that was the size of the zip? What was the size of aawsepersonal.exe once it was decompressed? I didn't have to deal with the zipped version--guess you got it very soon after it was released. Why the size went up and had problems as a result--???--there is talk in the Lavasoft thread that maybe the file got corrupted somehow at some of the mirrors. Or maybe there were some last minute changes--beats me.:thumbsup:

Have to admit I was still running AAW6--this was my first try at SE. When I did get SE to scan, got a couple of false positives and a minor, but irritating, bug in the GUI. I guess it should be expected that these major upgrades will have some bugs and things like file sizes will change quickly sometimes.

Thanks Grinler. I think the mirrors will be straightened out by the time anyone reads this tomorrow, but maybe it will help those who tried to upgrade in the past two days. :flowers:

The fate of all mankind, I see

Is in the hands of fools

--King Crimson

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 08 September 2004 - 12:29 AM

Posted Image

And again, I have no complaints. lavasoft puts out a great product IMO :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users