Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AM2+/am3 Question(s)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ohai

ohai

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:07 PM

I was wondering... So I'm getting a am2/am2+ board that SUPPORTS AM3 SOCKET CPUs and I found the 945 is on the list of support. Will I get any better performance over the 940 seeing as how the 940 is am2+ and 945 is am3 BUT the MB is am2/am2+? I know the main reason is DDR3 support for am3 MBs BUT DON'T TELL ME TO BUY AN AM2+/AM3 mobo please.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ohai

ohai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

-
mispost (this post not the OP (topic(thread)))

Edited by ohai, 06 August 2009 - 06:30 PM.

#3 ohai

ohai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:29 PM

This may sound trollish, but why does no one EVER answer my questions until days after I post them? I've seen most people get answers in less than 10 minutes >:-O

#4 the_muse

the_muse

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:40 PM

Howdy ohaj..
The only performance you will get using the 945 is from the DDR 3 ram.. Again not much over the DDR2 ram...
As AM2 and AMD2+ can only use DDR2 AM3 uses DDR3 (and you will pay a higher price for that ram as well. Best ram I have found (and cheap) was Patriot ram.. Is what I have in my system..Click Me for ram

If you have the money buy a 950 (as it is only 20 bucks more) then you will see more performance as it can overclock like a beast!

To sum it up its the DDR 3 ram you will see a jump from not really the cpu! And I think the 945 is locked aint it? I have the 950 and came from the 940 and I got about a 45% better performance.. Thats also because the ram s well.. I have it overclocked to 4.1ghz so it flies!

Edited by the_muse, 06 August 2009 - 06:47 PM.

#5 ohai

ohai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:47 PM

So it might be worth it to get a 945 if I later upgrade to DDR3 for bragging rights only?

Also, in AMD CPUs what does the e stand for at the end of a number sometimes ex.
AMD Phenom II X3 705e 2.5GHz Socket AM3 65W Triple-Core Processor - Retail

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

Edited by tg1911, 06 August 2009 - 11:34 PM.

#6 the_muse

the_muse

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

To be honet with you I have no idea what the e stands for...

If your going to be using an AM3 cpu why not go DDR3? The only real difference between DDR2 and 3 is the bandwith and a little extra mghz...

Like I said for 20 bucks more you can have the 955 which is a nice cpu..

But since your board is AM2 , AM2+ and AM3 you dont need to use DDR3... But it may throttle back the ram if your using a AM3 cpu..Or be to hard on it..

Up to you and yer budget though..

945 is an ok cpu but if it was m I would shell out the 15 or 20 bucks on the 955 stick with DDR2 ram untill you want to gewt the DDR3 (or until it gets a little cheaper)

#7 ohai

ohai
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:07 PM

well it's gonna be a birthday present so it's not MY budget.

Edit: Edited to remove unnecessary quote. ~tg

#8 nodnarB7891

nodnarB7891

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:09 PM

The "e" variants are those of a lower TDP, which means they run at a lower voltage, and use less power. There will be no performance difference in using an AM3 CPU in AM2+, since you will still be using DDR2, so the small, single digit performance increase you get from DDR3 is non-existent.

Also, the 9x5 chips are based on a new spin of silicon of Phenom II, which means they overclock better, or can run with lower voltages than the 9x0 chips.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users