Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Raid 5 array help

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Vroom125

Vroom125

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:46 PM

Hi,

I've set up a computer with a raid 5 array which was working well at first. I think I may have done something I wasn't supposed to though, because in the past day, the Intel Matrix storage manager has initialized the volume, and now it is rebuilding the volume extremely slowly. I have not replaced any of the hard drives.

I'm using a Gigabyte motherboard with an onboard Raid controller. In addition to this, I have installed the Intel Matrix storage manager.

Things that I have done in the past that might be related are defragmenting the hard drive and using the disk cleanup utility to clean up previous restore points and shadow copies. Does the issue have to do with the fact that I used disk clean up?

I used the disk clean up utility becaues there was a lot of unaccounted for used up space on the drive.

Thanks for the help
-Vroom

Edited by Vroom125, 06 August 2009 - 03:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vroom125

Vroom125
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 03:06 PM

I also just called WD tech support, and they told me that defragmentation is not recommended for a raid 5 array. ?

#3 the_muse

the_muse

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:09 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:49 AM

Remember that even though raid 5 spans many spindles, it is still treated as one logical drive. So with that, defragging is always a good thing. It only becomes a burden when you have to do it more frequently cuz your data keeps changing on you. To combat this issue, you must make sure that you defrag often, during off-peak hours. i recommend diskeeper's "set it and forget it" feature set. It work wonders on all of my windows drives!!!...

But,

Cleanup can do some damage especially if you do it to soon! Like iof you just installed windows and did cleanup thats bad. If you just installed a lot of programs and did clenup that is bad as tsome files need to stay on the drive for at least 2 hours..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users