Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Applying thermal paste

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 RknRusty

RknRusty

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:38 PM

I bought some silver thermal paste from Radio Shack and it looks like it's probably re-labled and manufactured by SVC. I went to the SVC website for tips on applying it and they say not to spread it because that can cause air pockets. http://www.svc.com/article-thermal-compound.html

EVERYONE else says to spread it out. I did that last time and the temps are slightly higher than they were when the machine was new. It's an AMD Athlon 64 3200+, Socket 754. I always keep it meticulously dust free and clean. Right now it idles at Case temp 48, Core temp 52, Ambient 37. The room temp is always about 26. I know it's not overheating, but under load the core gets up to 60 and sometimes higher. I don't think that chip is supposed to go over 65, but I want to stay as far under it as possible.

Any opinions here at BC about the method of applying the grease and the temperature range I'm getting?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,246 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:42 PM

I spread mine.

Louis

#3 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:45 PM

That was quick, thanks Louis.

#4 garmanma

garmanma

Computer Masochist

• Staff Emeritus
  • 27,809 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 04:55 PM

On the newer processors with the heat shields, they say do not spread it
That's the way I did mine with no problems
I've also spread it on
http://www.arcticsilver.com/instructions.htm
Mark
Posted Image
why won't my laptop work?

Having grandkids is God's way of giving you a 2nd chance because you were too busy working your butt off the 1st time around
Do not send me PMs with problems that should be posted in the forums. Keep it in the forums, so everyone benefits
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook and Twitter

#5 fairjoeblue

fairjoeblue

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:33 PM

I spread it on all CPU's.
Usually the temp will drop 5-7C in about 3 weeks as the thermal compound "sets" .
It doesn't set like glue would [anyhow it's not supposed to] but will "cure" & cause a temp drop.
OCZ StealthXstream 700W,Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R , E8500, Arctic Freezer Pro 7, 3GB G.Skill PC8500,Gigabyte Radeon HD 4850 OC [1GB ], Seagate 250GB SATA II X2 in RAID 0, Samsung SATA DVD burner.

#6 the_muse

the_muse

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

Best thing toi do is get like one of those gloves doctors have put a little dot on the center and just spread it towrds the outside.. Paper thin..

If you want to go even further gets some High grit sandpaper and sand the cpu slowly until you start to see copper. Then spread it on and you will get much better heat resistance!!

As for the heat yes 60c is in almost dangerous range,, Amd takes the heat better than Intel.. So it is ok to get to about 70c under really heavy load

Edited by the_muse, 06 August 2009 - 07:38 PM.

#7 RknRusty

RknRusty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 396 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

I spread it on all CPU's.
Usually the temp will drop 5-7C in about 3 weeks as the thermal compound "sets" .
It doesn't set like glue would [anyhow it's not supposed to] but will "cure" & cause a temp drop.

Best thing toi do is get like one of those gloves doctors have put a little dot on the center and just spread it towrds the outside.. Paper thin..

If you want to go even further gets some High grit sandpaper and sand the cpu slowly until you start to see copper. Then spread it on and you will get much better heat resistance!!

As for the heat yes 60c is in almost dangerous range,, Amd takes the heat better than Intel.. So it is ok to get to about 70c under really heavy load

Yeah, I guess it slowly flows and fills in all the micro gaps and pits; makes for more complete thermal conductivity (not resistance). I do have some un-powdered latex surgical gloves, I may try that for spreading it.

After reading these answers, I'm going to spread it. Thanks everybody.

Edited by RknRusty, 06 August 2009 - 08:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users