Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't access computer remotely

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buddyclm

buddyclm

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:26 PM

I have been trying to access my home computer remotely. I have DynDNS account and the updater installed on the computer. I can connect from my laptop to the desktop by remote desktop connection and it works correctly. But when I try to connect via the DynDNS account it says it can't connect. I have tried all different settings in the router to try to let it through. I have port 3389 forwarded to the static ip of the desktop computer. I remoted my anti-virus and firewall software to make sure that wasn't blocking anything. Windows firewall is also disabled and also on the exceptions list is remote desktop connection and also port 3389. Any ideas on what else I can try to get the connection to go through? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DCWyld

DCWyld

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:08 PM

Have you verified that DynDNS has updated IP address for your system. Is it possible it changed from ISP and not updated to DynDNS? Is there a possibility of getting a static IP so you don't have to go through this? Does the IP ping from remote system?

#3 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:35 PM

DynDNS is updating the ip address, i have the updater software installed for it.

#4 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:13 AM

I finally got it to where I can access my desktop from my laptop using the dyndns domain name in remote desktop connection but I still can't access it from another computer not directly connected to my router. I think my problem now is that my ISP is a wireless DSL and the antenna has a router in it. when i do some tracing i find that it shows the ip number for the local internet is one thing and mine is another on my computer, so i think it is an issue with having 2 routers and getting everything forwarded. any ideas on how to forward an ip to another ip?

#5 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 01:38 AM

Out of curiosity you are using the port right (I know now you can connect but still just in case)

myhomepc.com:5009 --> :5009 is the port

I would have to say that if

Router # 1 IP Scheme is --> 192.168.1.1
Router # 2 IP Scheme 9s --> 192.168.1.100 (This IP you assign it from router 1) and the internal IP to dish out is 192.168.10.1

If you are trying to connect from the Outsite to a PC connected to the second router.

myhomepc.com:5009 --Forwards to 192.168.1.1 which then fowards to 192.168.10.1 when the forwards to 192.168.10.5 (your PC)

This means that
Router 1 - Port 5009 incoming routes to 192.168.10.1
Router 2 - Port 5009 incoming routes to 192.168.10.5

This should work. The port can any anything you want but I would start with the deafult once you get it working change it.

Look at the link which will help you in the troubleshooting

http://www.dyndns.com/support/kb/why_cant_..._my_server.html

#6 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

ok, I tried to connect with the different port and no success. I looked at the URL you put and when I try to do the loopback test on my desktop it gives me a "the page can not be displayed" page and at the bottom says "Cannot find server or DNS Error" any ideas as to how to get it to corrctly do a loopback and could this be my problem?

#7 buddyclm

buddyclm
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:51 PM

my problem is now fixed, the terminal services port 3389 was blocked by my isp.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users