Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Slow

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 xanderthemighty

xanderthemighty

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

Okay, so I don't have the fastest connection I know... I have ATT DSL and it's like 3 Mbps and I know there is tons of fater stuff but I just don't have the ability to get a faster connection right now... but I have been experiencing what can only be worse than dial up speeds through my service occasionally worse! I have two machines one is

Vista 64 SP2
Quad Core 2.9
4 GB RAM

and the other is an

XP SP3
P4 w/ HT 3.0
2 GB RAM

For some reason I get a faster connection with my XP computer... I mean it drags with my Vista computer. Sometimes it seems to go faster but it quickly slows down again as if it's pulsing. I can't really watch anything streaming on it at all. I decided to start fresh with a clean install of both and now the problem seems to be worse. Now my XP computer has been giving me grief with burst of slowness and speed but also, pages that loaded perfectly fine before pop up with a bunch of server not found messages... I find it hard to believe that a bunch of servers just went down all at the same time.

What you should also know: I use firefox but get the same results in IE and currently there is no software such as McCaffe or Norton blocking my connection, although I would like to put some protection back on these computers... maybe I'll just put free AVG on for now. I am also going through a 2wire gateway into an airport extreme and I spent all night resetting it and playing with setting so I don't think that's the cause.

If you know how to solve this, please let me know... I really need a faster service but even the relatively slow speed I had would be nice to have for developing my website... I was thinking it must be a setting that I'm not thinking of but after so much messing around over the past few days and accidentally shutting down my internet I don't want to guess that much anymore. Please help me!

Extra Info: As of about 3:45pm I went into network connections and right clicked my local area connection and clicked advanced to edit the Windows Firewall Exeptions to allow file sharing and it seems to have allowed the internet to go faster, no idea if it works on vista and it still seems a bit slower than normal but it at least allows more stuff to load.

Edited by xanderthemighty, 06 August 2009 - 06:00 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users