Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Add Wireless Printer To Wired Network

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tb75252

tb75252

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:53 PM

I am not much of an expert in networking, so I hope to find some help here...

At home I have two computers. They both have WinXP SP3 installed. I connect to the Internet via an ADSL account with AT&T. AT&T has supplied me with what they call a modem/gateway. It is made by 2Wire and the model number is 2701HG-B.

Each computer is independently hooked up to an Ethernet port of the modem/gateway by RJ45 cables so that I can access the Internet with one PC without having the other one turned on too. My two PCs are also networked together by means of the modem/gateway setup. (Nothing in my current network setup is wireless.)

I now would like to add a wireless printer to my network --an HP OfficeJet 6500 Wireless All-In-One Printer-- in such a manner that I can use either PC to print, scan, etc. without having the other PC turned on too. According to AT&T's web site, my 2Wire modem/gateway is capable of handling up to nine wireless devices. My two PCs do not have wireless network adapters installed.

The question is: Given that my small PC network is set up in a wired manner (and I would like to leave it that way to make my life easier!), will I be able to hook up the printer in a wireless manner to the 2Wire modem/gateway? My hope is to be able to do it without having to purchase additional equipment to make it happen.

Can it be done? How?

PS: I know that the HP printer also has USB and Ethernet ports, but I would like to set it up in a wireless manner.
--
tb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DCWyld

DCWyld

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:45 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:11 PM

Is the modem/gateway also a router? Or is it strictly a gateway? Are the systems sharing files of any type, in the same workgroup?

#3 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:25 PM

AT&T calls it a modem/gateway. The two PCs are set up with a workgroup name and each PC can see the other PC's files and share documents within that workgroup. I am not exactly sure what a router is but I did not need one when I networked together the two PCs.
I hope I gave you enough information as I am not much of an expert in this field...

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 01:50 PM

It would be like adding any other wireless device to your network. Look in the instructions for your printer on how to turn on the wireless and configure it. I am not sure if your modem/router has any wireless security turned on by default but you could ask your provider about that.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 03:03 PM

Being a complete novice with networking, I guess the first thing that I would like to know is this: Is it even possible to hook up to my modem/gateway a device (the HP printer) in a wireless manner when the other devices (my two PCs) are hooked up to the modem/gateway in a wired manner? Can wired and wireless devices coexist via the 2Wire modem/gateway?

I know that my 2Wire modem/gateway can handle both wired and wireless connections; what I don't understand in the first place is whether it can handle both setup types together and at the same time. For instance, if one PC is surfing the Internet and the other one is wanting to print a document via the wireless printer, will that even be possible or will the wired/wireless "signals" sent to the modem/gateway be... jumbled up?

I hope my question makes sense...

#6 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:13 PM

Yes they can co-exist. The 2Wire is no different than a wireless router as far as the router part is concerned(except with the 2Wire you'll have a limit of how many wireless connections you can have). With no security of any kind on a "normal" wireless router you can have a mix of 254 wired/wireless devices, it makes no difference. As far as the router is concerned they are all addresses.

My suggestion is if you aren't comfy with it all is to call your provider and have them walk you through turning on the wireless part of your 2Wire. Take notes on the security part but until you get the printer connecting and working properly, there is no need to add to the issue with adding security. You can do that after you are sure it works. This site has some good info. I couldn't find your exact model but I have a feeling they'll all look enough alike that you can figure it out.

As far as the printer: I read the manual. Its fairly straight forward. Connect a PC to it via USB and run the CD. Click Wired/Wireless devices and follow the on-screen instructions. You will need the 2Wire setup first because you need a lil info.

Again I would recommend getting it all setup and running before you add any kind of security(WPA or WEP). But you will need to set up some sort of security. Otherwise your network will be wide open to other people connecting =)

Its not too hard promise =)

ps. I know you can have more than 254 devices on a network but I was talking about "normal out of the box" home routers =)

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#7 tb75252

tb75252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 05:41 PM

Great! Thanks for all your help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users