Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MODEM driver for PCI modem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 john23jay

john23jay

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hi guys!

I need some help with regards to my old PC. My friend gave me a 56k PCI internal modem card for my old PC. So, i plugged it on the PC. After switching the computer, a pop-up came up notifying that there's a new hardware device detected and needs to be installed in order to work. And then I clicked the pop-up balloon and Add New Hardware window showed. I followed the instructions and when found nothing from my computer, i inserted different types of Windows installation CDs hoping that it will find a device driver for PCI modem.

Now, i can't install my PCI internal modem because it needs a device driver in order for it to run. My friend said that this is a plug-and-play device. Well, that doesn't work for me. Unfortunately, i can't find the manufacturer for this device and what model. I think this is a generic modem.

Do anyone know how to fix this one?

I don't know where can i find nor download a device driver for this thing.

Thanks for the interest of sharing your ideas. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:30 PM

Remove the modem and look at it.

Post whatever written material can be used to find a driver.

Generic modem...doesn't do any good for finding drivers, since there are various chipsets involved and it helps to have the correct one, if not the designated modem manufacturer.

Louis

#3 john23jay

john23jay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 10:19 AM

yeah i know that you'll be saying that to me but unfortunately, there's no information indicated in the PCI internal modem device. :thumbsup:

so, i thought it was generic..?

Edited by john23jay, 07 August 2009 - 10:19 AM.

#4 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:23 AM

There should be a fairly large chip soldered to the board. Should have some type of identifying info on it.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,251 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:43 AM

Since it's a PCI card...there has to be some identifying marking on it (serial number, chipset manufacturer, etc.).

I haven't looked at a modem in a long time, but I used several generic modems in prior days and they all had some identifying data that would permit me to get the proper drivers.

Louis

#6 john23jay

john23jay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:30 PM

well, i'll take a look at it again for the serial number. but i'm pretty much sure that there's no indication of manufacturer in the device driver.

if ever that nothing is indicated, what am i going to do with this?

#7 ThunderZ

ThunderZ

• Deactivated
  • 4,454 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:25 PM

Make a note of any markings on the board itself also any chips attached to it. At that point Google is your best friend.

#8 navees

navees

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 AM

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:29 PM

helloo dude,,

am not sure i cn help u out,,
u cn chk this driver am giving link to dnld,,

am using this driver for my PCI internal modem. chk it out,

if ok,,luck,, if not sucks