Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Endless Cycle of Doom

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Whind_soull

Whind_soull

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hello!

Sorry for not introducing myself in the Welcome Forum first, but I'm in a bit of a hurry...

My PC boots up normaly, but after a few seconds of loading XP, it just flickers, and goes back to booting up. It does this endlessly. Yes, it offers to startup in Safemode, or "at my last working settings." (Para-phrasing.) I believe this is from a lack of RAM (I've been installing...), and that I need to use a startup disk. (Which I don't have.) I believe you can make one, but I know not how. As I'm sure you have inferred, I'm one a second, working PC. (Also XP.) If someone would be kind enough to guide me through the process of creating and using a startup disk (If that is, in fact, what I should do.), I would be most thankful.

Thank you in advance,
- Will -

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 02:30 PM

To create a boot up disk do the following:

1. On a different computer with a floppy disk connect to http://www.bootdisk.com/ on the internet.
2. Download http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310994
3. Extract it to a folder on your hard drive (C:\bootdisk\
4. Copy the contents of C:\bootdisk\ to A:\ (floppy disk drive).
5. Boot up with that floppy diskette.

I'm not 100% sure if booting with a floppy will help though. But these are the steps for getting a boot-up disk.

#3 Whind_soull

Whind_soull
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 AM

Posted 16 July 2005 - 12:59 AM

Thank you very much! Very helpful.
- Will -

#4 rmm55

rmm55

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 08:58 AM

If you have the XP os cd, then you can set your computer to boot from cd and do a repair install or, if needed, load the Recovery Console and do chkdsk /r.
Roy Mel - YourTechOnline technician
roy@no_spam_yourtechonline.com (remove no_spam_)

#5 Dimmrick

Dimmrick

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

If you have the XP os cd, then you can set your computer to boot from cd and do a repair install or, if needed, load the Recovery Console and do chkdsk /r.

How do you load the Recovery Console and run chkdsk/r if you cannot get XP to load?
Thanks

#6 Leurgy

Leurgy

Voted most likely

• Members
  • 3,831 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2005 - 07:33 PM

Hi Dimmrick and welome to BleepingComputer.

If you have a question to ask about your own system its always best to post a New Topic in the appropriate forum to get the most effective help. For some tips about posting see Before you post about a problem.

Somebody will jump in to help.

When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail. Abraham Maslo

**** We use our powers for good, not evil ****

Trying to remove your data from the web is like trying to remove pee from a swimming pool

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users