Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem connecting Officejet 6500 printer to desktop

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 tbhandari

tbhandari

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

This is kind of a weird problem, and not sure what's going on. I was trying to connect my dad's new HP Officejet 6500 printer to his desktop. The driver installation gets to the step where you're supposed to turn on the printer and connect the USB cable. You do this, and nothing happens. My thoughts are that it would be the printer, the USB cable, or the USB ports on his desktop.

However, to help troubleshoot, I then proceeded to connect his laptop and properly install the drivers on my laptop that I had brought along. To me, this shows that it's not the printer or the cable and that it must be his USB ports. However, the weird thing is that he can still connect his iPod through his USB ports and that seems to work properly.

Any thoughts on why I can't get his computer (a 5 year old Dell with XP installed) to see the printer? I've completely run out of ideas of things to try.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:05 AM

When the printer is plugged in, does anything appear in device manager?

If you're using the installation files from a disk that came with the printer, you might try the drivers from HP's website, they would likely be more up-to-date.
Posted Image

#3 tbhandari

tbhandari
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:21 AM

Nope. That's the weird part. My dad initially tried the installation, and during that step where you turn on the printer and plug in the USB cable, there was a connection, but something went wrong on the installation.

Then I went over yesterday, removed anything left over, rebooted, and started a clean install. And when it gets to that step, nothing.

And nope. I couldn't find the installation cd, so I got the drivers from HP's site.

Weird huh? I can't figure it out. My dad just called HP tech support and they told him that they think it might be a registry issue. I couldn't think of what might have made them think that? The next thing I was thinking of installing is like maybe a PCI USB 2.0 card. His desktop is about 5 years old. I'm guessing he had older USB ports. Maybe that?

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 11:04 AM

If you have the raw .INF files you can try to install the printer manually through the Windows add printer wizard, although you'll have to ensure that there's a USB port in your list of available printer ports (in the same list that you find LPT1, COM1, Local Port, etc).
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users