Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My computer crashes!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 willdrumforfood01

willdrumforfood01

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:34 AM

Hello,

I am relatively new to this site, and need some help. The computer I am using has a tendency to be working ok, and without warning, black-screen, and restart, only to do this again, a few minutes later. :thumbsup: I have no idea what the hell this is, and I'm hoping it's not hardware. HELP!

N8

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

First thing I would do would be to disable automatic restart on system failure, so the next time the system crashes you can see the error screen and hopefully identify the problem. If you do get a blue screen next time, take special note of any file name listings and STOP error codes.
Posted Image

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 01:08 PM

The issues you describe could be symptomatic of a variety of things to include hardware/software issues, overheating caused by a failed processor fan, bad memory (RAM), failing or underpowered power supply, CPU overheating, motherboard, video card, faulty or unsigned device drivers, CMOS battery going bad, BIOS and firmware problems, dirty hardware components, programs hanging or unresponsive in the background, and even malware. If the computer is overheating, it usually begins to shutdown/restart on a more regular basis.

Doing as arcman suggests won't cure your problem but instead of crashing and restarting you will get a blue diagnostic screen with an error code and other information to include file(s) that may be involved which will allow you to better trace your problem. Write down the full error code and the names of any files/drivers listed, then provide that information in your next reply so we can assist you with investigating the cause.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 willdrumforfood01

willdrumforfood01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:18 PM

Alright guys, i took your advice, and i recorded the codes from three separate Bluescreens.

The first one was after logging in. I recieved these codes:

STOP: 0x0000008E (0xC000005, 0x80565C1F, 0xECB9796C 0x00000000)

The second one was at the login screen, about 30 seconds after booting.

STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x7F99E084, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x7F99E084)

The third one was about 5 seconds after reaching the login screen:

STOP: c00021a {Fatal System Error}

The Windows Logon Process System process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xC0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down.

Any thoughts?

Edited by willdrumforfood01, 13 August 2009 - 05:19 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,734 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2009 - 05:56 PM

Most STOP errors are the result of faulty drivers or RAM which appears to be the case for the first two error messages.

When doing a search on the net for STOP: c00021a, you will find similar reports with various causes and possible solutions. What works for one person may not work for another.

The STOP 0xC000021A error occurs when either Winlogon.exe or Csrss.exe fails. When the Windows NT kernel detects that either of these processes has stopped, it stops the system and raises the STOP 0xC000021A error. This error may have several causes. Among them are the following:

* Mismatched system files have been installed.
* A Service Pack installation has failed.
* A backup program that is used to restore a hard disk did not correctly restore files that may have been in use.
* An incompatible third-party program has been installed.

How to troubleshoot a "STOP 0xC000021A" error
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users