Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

bandwidth allocation and network monitoring

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 giadda

giadda

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 09:33 AM

hi, i'm a 26 year old semi-techie nurse :thumbsup: and i love playing online games. i recently had an internet connection installed and have shared it with 2 of my housemates..

the problem begins when they log in and sort of hoard the bandwidth, with either skype, facebook, or what nots.. so i get constantly and irritantly get disconnected.

can anyone please help me on how to configure my D-link DI 604 router.. the set-up we currently have is that my modem is hooked to the DI604 router, then hooked to a router switch.. one of my techie friends set this up, but unfortunately IS no longer available..

i need help if possible on the following issues..

1. bandwidth allocation - how can i do this, any step-by-step guide if possible? :flowers: and

2. possible FREE network monitoring software - so i can tell them to avoid hoarding the bandwidth

thanks in advance and more power everyone!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 giadda

giadda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:19 AM

Bring
Up
My
^_^

#3 giadda

giadda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:34 AM

Bring
Up
My
^_^

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:40 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 01:54 PM

What speed is your connection? Meaning, some ISPs have different levels of service. DSL has 128, 512 and unlimited. Some cable companies has something similar. Do you have an unlimited plan?

Cause if you have an unlimited plan, there should be no issues. If you have one of the others, they aren't meant to be shared really. Do they complain about the speed or being disconnected?

Something about your setup is confusing. "the set-up we currently have is that my modem is hooked to the DI604 router, then hooked to a router switch." The DI604 is connected to another router? or just a switch?

As far as bandwidth allocation - There is no easy way to do this. Your Dlink has within it the ability to schedule when people connected can surf, what sites they can or can't get to and it can block certain programs. But if you do that they will not be happy lol. Without a server or another piece of hardware there really isn't a way to do it. There is

This might be what you are looking for as far as monitoring. I have not used this so I can not say its good or not. But the Help file is good.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 giadda

giadda
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2009 - 09:22 AM

hi, thanks for replying :trumpet:

uhm, i currently have a 1mbps DSL connection.. uhm, the problem mainly is connection speed.. when all of us connect, its very slow..

oh the set-up mainly is modem-router-switch :inlove:

oh i was really looking forward to disallowing streaming sites thru setting-up the router.. problem is, i don't have any idea how to do that :thumbsup:

its like, if at all possible, to just schedule times when they can access skype, or youtube, or streaming sites :bike: coz its really rough when all three of us are connected, it comes down to a crawl when i surf a page.. :flowers:

and thanks for the awesome monitoring software :woot: altho, i still need to find out how it works lol..

What speed is your connection? Meaning, some ISPs have different levels of service. DSL has 128, 512 and unlimited. Some cable companies has something similar. Do you have an unlimited plan?

Cause if you have an unlimited plan, there should be no issues. If you have one of the others, they aren't meant to be shared really. Do they complain about the speed or being disconnected?

Something about your setup is confusing. "the set-up we currently have is that my modem is hooked to the DI604 router, then hooked to a router switch." The DI604 is connected to another router? or just a switch?

As far as bandwidth allocation - There is no easy way to do this. Your Dlink has within it the ability to schedule when people connected can surf, what sites they can or can't get to and it can block certain programs. But if you do that they will not be happy lol. Without a server or another piece of hardware there really isn't a way to do it. There is

This might be what you are looking for as far as monitoring. I have not used this so I can not say its good or not. But the Help file is good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users