Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2003 Time Service

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:03 AM

I tried a couple of microsoft fixes but it is not solving the issue with windows 2003 time service. I am unable to get the time service to work and stay working.
I had it up yesterday and after a server reboot all I get for a "Net time " command is "could not locate a time-server. More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3912", so I typed it and it just says "Could not locate a time-server." I dont find this "more help" but that is neigther here nor there.

I had it to the point where the rest of the network would pull the time server from Group policy. The time Server is not a Domain Controller but just another server. originally I ran w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:time.windows.com /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update on the time server

After running that the time service worked. on the server,
then I set up the rest of the domain policy through Group policy to point to that server for time through Group policy MMC snap in.
after this the workstations and other systems pulled the time with a net time /set command...it worked

now the only issue I could see that I had not figured yet was where does the time server need to be in all of this. if the time server is in the domain it will pull it self as the source for time now that Group policy says to, however,,,, thats ok for me if that ends up being the case, as long as the rest of the systems are on the same time.

I am able to ping the time server, Time service is running on time server. :thumbsup:

Can somebody help me and let me know what I maybe missing?

BleepingNetwork

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,259 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:26 AM

I've had issues with the NTP Service under XP, though I've never used 2003. They're both NT-based so I imagine the problems are the same.

The trouble I had was that the NTP service only shipped with time servers provided by Microsoft (time.microsoft.com) which suck. You can add any number of time servers to the list of available servers, including NIST and the US Naval Observatory (the ones I use).

To add/change servers under Windows 2003: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042
List of servers: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/262680
Automated fix (designed for XP but will probably run under 2003): http://www.boredomsoft.org/index.php?page=Windows+Time+Fixer (disclosure: I wrote this)

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 07 January 2010 - 05:54 PM.

#3 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:50 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I have tried your suggestions but no luck as of yet.

Edited by bleepingnetwork, 06 August 2009 - 02:59 AM.

#4 Mr LunchBox

Mr LunchBox

• Members
  • 318 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 AM

Posted 07 August 2009 - 12:37 AM

One of the places I worked at we had a similar issue. The standard fix would not work. I searched but could not find what I remember helped me to fix it. I did find a couple of the many sites I used for the information that gave me the results.

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_...me-Service.html
http://www.experts-exchange.com/OS/Microso...Q_24590732.html

Hopefully that helps.

#5 bleepingnetwork

bleepingnetwork
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2009 - 04:35 AM

thanks for the responses!!!
Unfortunatly niether fixed the issue but are great resources.

Here is what I have got going and maybe I am going about it wrong to begin with.

The time server is on just a member server, not a domain controller. Does it need to be on a Domain Controller?
I configured it last week things were working for workstations and servers alike and then after a server restart it stopped working. According to GPO editor the systems are recieving the time server information, but when I do a "net time " command I get " could not locate a time server." could this be if GPO editor is telling the Time server to look at it self, and essentially confusing it? Well I tested this by setting group policy to use time.nist.gov did a GP update /force and tried reboots but I am still getting the same result.

ensured that the windows time service is log on as "NT Authority\NetworkService"

hope adding more information can help and I realize this is not much more than the original post.

BleepingNetwork

Edited by bleepingnetwork, 10 August 2009 - 08:29 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users