Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

nswatchdog.exe diagnosis and removal

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 seaspine

seaspine

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 12:03 AM

:thumbsup: OK. I've seen some talk around about nswatchdog.exe so here's the guts. You get it as part of the Nielson Ratings software download but you don't know it until too late. If you go to Programs and Features in Vista only the initial download will uninstall. Unbeknownst to most there is an .exe file (nswatchdog.exe) that will install in System32. I found it when my memory was up a whoppping GB. That's what it was eating! I ran Autoruns and found nswatchdog.exe, did a little research and found it was associated with Nielson ratings. So, I jumped to the Registry and deleted it. I then went to system32 and tried, in vain, to delete the file. So I remamed it and tried again. Vista said I didn't have permission. I then hit it with MBAB's FileAssasin and that didn't work. I then set the permissions to only me on the computer. Wham. As soon as I did that, I got a PopUp IMMEDIATELY and it said "Sorry you're discontinuing Nielson..." blah, blah and boom...the .exe file disappeared. What bleeps-sorry. Delete that if you want. If it wasn't for the overt memory usage I wouldn't have thought to run Autoruns. I did go BACK in the registry and it was gone in all software classes. The RAM went from 38% to 20% (I have 4GB RAM) on reboot and there is no evidence that I'm being mined at this time. I love Bleeping Computers so I thought I'd share this info-no telling what these guys are snitching from unsuspecting PC's.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 VoidX789

VoidX789

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 AM

Posted 29 June 2010 - 05:47 AM

Some people are just amazing idiots. Instead of creating viruses, they should create good programs. This could also get them profit without being illegal. This just angers me more that a lot of the other crap i have to deal with in life. I couldn't go to work one day when i got sick. That fruserated me. I love my job. But when a virus had infected my computer at work, 3 WEEKS] went down the drain. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the good info seaspine! Helping to keep us all a bit safer.
Welcome to the Void of Insanity
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users