Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need help regarding the removal of Windows Antivirus Pro

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 AtrocityExhibition

AtrocityExhibition

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:37 AM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:34 PM

Some quick information before I begin, just in case:

I have an eMachines Desktop computer that I bought about three or four years ago, 512MB RAM, a 100 GB HD that's less than half-used (still about 65 gigs left, estimate) with Windows XP home edition. Hopefully that's enough information; if it's not, I'll be happy to answer any more questions.

Onto the problem: recently I logged off a website, turned off Firefox, and let the computer run. An hour later, I found that there was Windows Antivirus Pro on my computer, so I restarted it. No program will open. The first time, the message read "... is infected" and such. When I restarted the computer, every program said (and still says) "program too big to fit in memory."

I googled those words, and came across the article at bleepingcomputer on how to remove it. I wrote all the steps down, and I tried it, forgetting to download the program to allow me to enable the task manager to remove it.

Here's where the problem lies: I saved the program (Fixtm.reg) into a flash drive on this laptop (because the internet would not open up on my desktop) so that I could transfer it into my desktop. I plugged the flash drive into my desktop, but it won't open. The error message "program too big to fit in memory" once again shows up. I need to put this program onto my desktop so I can go into the task manager and close up Windows Antivirus Pro.

Can anyone help me with this? Thanks.

Edit: Moved topic from XP to the more appropriate forum, to preclude the need to repost as suggested in next post. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:23 AM

Hi AtrocityExhibition, and welcome to the Bleeping Computer forums,

Sorry to hear about your trouble there. Not sure what it's called, but I think that you have gotten hold of one of those things that just kind of explodes and take up all of your free space on your machine HDD when you activated it.

A "Decompression Bomb" that's what that bugger is called.

You might want to open a new thread in the "Am I Infected, What Do I Do" Forum. Just click that link and post your question there.

Don't post any kind of logs or anything else there unless a member of the Malware team asks you to.though. Put a link back to this thread too if you want to, it could be helpful to whoever helps you out.

I hate to say it, but you may have to reload your operating system to over come that problem. But check out that forum for some professional advice first. One of those guys might be able to tell you something I don't know about dealing with the aftermath of a decompression bomb, if that is actually what got you Boo.

EDITED: Do you have a firewall, other than the one that comes with Windows I mean?

Good Luck,

Wendy

Edited by Wendy K. Walker, 06 August 2009 - 02:33 AM.

TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#3 AtrocityExhibition

AtrocityExhibition
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2009 - 12:17 AM

Thank you for the reply. I will do as you instructed.

My computer only came with a recovery disc, not an OS disc, so you're saying that I may have to buy one?

#4 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 08 August 2009 - 07:34 PM

Hi AtrocityExhibition,

I see that your post has been moved into the appropriate forum. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be replying to you here or not, however, I'm doing this as a courtesy to you.

Disregard what I said in my previous reply, and DO NOT do anything else in this thread UNTIL you are instructed to do so by a staff member of the Malware forum.

You will know who they are by looking at their designation next to their avatar.

Good luck,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#5 AtrocityExhibition

AtrocityExhibition
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2009 - 11:16 AM

Wendy, what I meant was that I was going to move the post to this forum, but you did so already for me.

Update: My infected computer is on the internet, and I found the task manager (without having to install it, oddly enough), and I'm not finding Windows Antivirus Pro in the Task Manager, despite having seen it at work last time I was on the computer.

Even though it isn't there in the TM, I'm still having problems with programs saying "program too big to fit in memory," and so I can't run any programs to get rid of it. Somehow the internet has come back up, though.

Thanks for any help that I may receive.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 09 August 2009 - 09:18 PM

Thank you wendy .. We have another topic on this started here and we will continue there and close this.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/ind...03&t=248221
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users