Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Power supplies and pin connectors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AlfaWolf04

AlfaWolf04

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 10:31 PM

First of all, this will be my first build and I'm on a budget right now, but I also want this power supply to be able to last for years to come. I will be buying a mid/low-range graphics card starting off, but will later buy a state-of-the-art graphics card, followed by a second one to SLI, but I have not yet decided exactly what card that will be. I noticed that some of the newer cards tend to have 2 x 6-pin power connectors, meaning I would need at least four 6-pin connectors once I SLI. I will also be connecting 2 SATA devices (one DVD-ROM and a hard drive) when I build, and may buy an additional hard drive and a blu-ray player in the future, for a total of four necessary SATA connectors.

So here are my questions:
1. What should I be looking for in a power supply in terms of pin connections?
2. Should I go modular?
3. Would it be wise to buy a 6+2 pin connection for future graphics cards in case they require 8-pin, or would it be safe to stay with 6-pin?
4. Other than the 24-pin motherboard connector, are there any connectors from the power supply that I'm forgetting?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 PM

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:04 PM

1. Most SLI or Crossfire capable power supplies come with plenty of connections. I have two 9800GTX's, three hard drives, and an optical drive and I still have room for more expansion if I wanted to.

2. Modular is great, it keeps cables out of the way. There is a very slight power loss in using them, but the amount of power loss seems to be quite low when all the normal variables are factored in. Here's an interesting link on the electrical resistance issue: Motherboards.org - Modular Power Supplies: The Reality of the Resistance.

3. You should have enough eight and six-pin connections to last a while. Most graphics cards have molex to eight or six-pin converters in the box with the card if you are really worried.

4. No. Unless you have a large number of additional components, what comes in the box is all you need.

Make sure you get a good power supply from a reputable company, such as Corsair, Silverstone, Seasonic, OCZ, or PC Power. Also, if you know you're going to get a high performance GPU, planning ahead can save time and money. For instance, if you plan on getting two GTX 295's or HD 4870 X2's, you would need a very powerful power supply. Two such power supplies would be the CORSAIR CMPSU-1000HX 1000W or the SILVERSTONE ST1000 1000W. I have the Silverstone PSU in my PC.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users