Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

More problems with computer hanging in the POST

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:19 AM

I had a random problem with my computer hanging in the system POST, I finally found a LED display on the motherboard and a corresponding diagnostic chart for the LED configuration, what it indicated was that it was hanging in the initializing floppy drive controller. I disconnected the data cord for it at the motherboard and that seemed to take care of the problem, several days later now it's hanging again, but this time the LED configurations aren't consistent. Can someone please help me sort this out, it's beginning to make me crazy?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 just_a_nobody

just_a_nobody

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 AM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 02:40 PM

Can you get into the BIOS? Check your BIOS settings, and write them down. Unplug the the power cord, and move your cmos jumper over, to clear your CMOS, leave the jumper to clear, for about 10 minutes, then move the jumper back, plug your power back in and start the computer.

If it boots up fine, then you may need a new CMOS battery.

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 15 July 2005 - 06:45 PM

Hi dc3,

I agree with just_a_nobody with the cmos reset. If that doesn't work, you can also attempt to flash the BIOS. You can find this software at you system board maker's website, or if it is a major brand computer, at their website.

Hope this helps,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:10 AM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 12:45 PM

Hey guys...I cleared the CMOS this morning, and it solved some of my problems and the computer is running faster now. When I restarted it I got a error message regarding the A Drive, this was new, usually it will just stall in the POST with the LED display indicating that the FDD is in trouble, I turned off the computer and reconnected the data cable from the FDD to the motherboard and restarted the computer without a hitch, the FDD now works as well. I was hoping that this was the last of this problem, but alas...I just had it stall in the POST in the same old place. Time for an exorcism! :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 24 July 2005 - 08:52 PM

Hey DC3,

It may be time for a new floppy drive. They are relatively inexpensive and simple to replace.

Good luck,

Rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users